Landing craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing craft

I have an uncle who was a (driver or helmsman ??) of a landing craft in the second world war.
    Would he be
    (a) classed as being in the navy ?
    (b) have been enlisted into the job or have been on a warship prior to being transferred ?
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Sounds like a naval activity. You wouldn't want someone with no sea knowledge doing something like that!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My Dad was on a Tank Landing Craft at D Day. He took the Canadian soldiers and tanks over to France and he was in the Navy.

Hope it is helpful
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
        My Dad was on a Tank Landing Craft at D Day. He took the Canadian soldiers and tanks over to France and he was in the Navy.

Hope it is helpful
        Thanks Lin
        Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

Navy. He would have been in the seamans branch and learned how to steer boats/ships etc before being given the helm of a landing craft
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

My 89 year old Uncle did the same job.

He told us that when they went to drop off the soldiers they all had khaki uniforms to wear so that the snipers couldn't pick off the navy personnel so easily, which would have rendered the landing craft next to useless.

Interesting because I had never heard of that

Linda

Comment

If it was a landing craft rather than a DUKW he would be navy.
              If he drove a DUKW he would be army or marines.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

He was definitely in the Navy..I have photos of him in his uniform

Linda

Comment

Working...
                X