Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way of searching Royal Marine records online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way of searching Royal Marine records online?

for the years between 1871 and 1891 thanks

Have you checked the National Archives?
    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine I never know how to find records on that site always seem to get millions of hits, off to see what I can find.

Comment

Start by searching the Documents Online search page - just selecting the categories which you think might be appropriate.

Then move on to searching the catalogue, entering ADM in the Department/Series code box
        Elaine

Comment

thanks for that Elaine that helps a lot

Comment

You can download Royal Marine records from the Documentsonline site that Elaine gave to you. Click on "Navy" on the LH side of their home page, and Royal Marine records are listed. You can then search the series by name. Each record costs £3-50 to download.
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Did you find what you were looking for Val?
              Elaine

Comment

thanks for that Ann , Elaine I am not really sure what I am looking for ? it says he is a Private in the 73rd reg in 1881 and a Private in the District Royal Marine Barracks in Kent in 1871

If anybody could point me in the right direction please

Its a William Knight born 1857 Bermondsey but he says 1853 on those census records but then he may have lied to get in ?

Comment

Elaine - and everyone, thanks to this posting I have just found the Navy records for my Great Uncle Edward Cheesman, my Grandfather's brother. They were orphaned in 1891 and the children never saw each other again. I have been trying to put the children's stories together, Edward joined the navy at the tender age of 12. Very tragically, his son Eric died in a horrible tragedy at the age of 12. Finding these records is amazing.

Comment

Great you found them Lori ??? was it easy to find

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      thanks for that Ann , Elaine I am not really sure what I am looking for ? it says he is a Private in the 73rd reg in 1881 and a Private in the District Royal Marine Barracks in Kent in 1871

If anybody could point me in the right direction please

Its a William Knight born 1857 Bermondsey but he says 1853 on those census records but then he may have lied to get in ?
                      If I am looking at the right one for the 1871 census it shows William Knight born Lambeth c1853.
                      I think that would match up with these documents from the National Archives - which give his date of birth as 3 Sept 1853.

Are you sure it's your William?
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Lori.o View Post
                        Elaine - and everyone, thanks to this posting I have just found the Navy records for my Great Uncle Edward Cheesman, my Grandfather's brother. They were orphaned in 1891 and the children never saw each other again. I have been trying to put the children's stories together, Edward joined the navy at the tender age of 12. Very tragically, his son Eric died in a horrible tragedy at the age of 12. Finding these records is amazing.
                        It's great when you find that little something extra! :o
                        Elaine

Comment

you are good Elaine thats the William I found in 1871 and 1881 and wasn't sure if he was mine lying about his year of birth?? but if that says that birth date then he isnt mine , thanks so much for looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            Great you found them Lori ??? was it easy to find
                            I had to do some digging but it didn't take too long to find them. I just started searching when I found your post, had no idea how to get these records before.
                            Last edited by Lori.o; 17-08-11, 16:45.

Comment

Sorry, he was 17 when he joined...opps. LOL!! Finding them is one thing, apparently reading them is another!! I've got nothing done today except read these records and do research now!! Darn!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Sorry, he was 17 when he joined...opps. LOL!! Finding them is one thing, apparently reading them is another!! I've got nothing done today except read these records and do research now!! Darn!!! LOL!!!
                                That's a fairly classic effect, I think!

One of the members here has/had a footer (I think) suggesting that "a tidy home is a sign of a broken computer"!

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X