Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was he hiding in 1881 an 1891?

William John KNIGHT born 1857 Bermondsey

Not found him on any census till after his marriage in 1895 in Edmonton to a Martha Townsend born 1859 St Giles London.
    William describes himself as a Plumber Journeyman ,living at 142 Mayes Road Wood Green Edmonton.
    Martha is a School Mistress living at 68 Frisbury Road ?? Wood Green.

he is a House Painter in 1901 and 1911

I am not looking to find him with his parents just him would be great

Not having success - do you have him in earlier censuses, with mum and dad, so I can have a look?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

thanks Herky I dont have him on any census only his Birth Baptism Marriage and 1901 1911 his family are very hard to find , thats why I said just the 1881 1891 census would be great
      I've given up for now trying to find him with his parents, as I cannot find them after 1851?

Comment

He wasn't by any chance a widower when he married and Martha a second wife? - don't know why I am asking but this has me stumped.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I was just going to ask the same thing Herky Most of the men of that age in 1881 appear to be married. Of those that aren't it's impossible to know which, if any, might be him. Two of them didn't even say where they were born :(
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

hi and thanks for looking, it was his first marriage according to the marriage cert ? he says Bachelor.

Comment

Well I've just had a trawl through the 1881. It looks pretty much like the 1891 except that they aren't all married yet I can't see one with a job that appears to fit, or parents etc.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for trying Chrissie I am looking on fmp as we speak its really odd unless he was in prison ??? or in the Military and got missed.
                I had given up almost on ever finding him but somebody on here did !!! in 1901 1911 and the marriage ,I was surprised to say the least as I had thought maybe he had died ?

Comment

I see you found him on the 1901 with wife and kiddie Muriel Val and changed the birth place. On his occupation, does that give his employers name there?

And in 1891 Martha, assistant mistress, is still at home with mum in Tottenham. I guess if he is a journeyman, he could be anywhere in the country really and no place of birth known if he is in lodgings. The only William born Bermondsey I can see in 1881 is a painter but born 1862 :( There is one born 1857 on the ship Neptune but it says London middlesex as place of birth, though I spose that could be wrong. Its just if he were in a skilled job like plumber it seems a bit odd he becomes a painter.

Is that his baptism with his 10 year old sister Emily being done at the same time?

Name: William John Knight
                  Record Type: Baptism
                  Estimated Birth Date: abt 1857
                  Baptism Date: 15 Apr 1857
                  Father's name: George William Knight
                  Mother's name: Mary Knight
                  Parish or Poor Law Union: Bermondsy Christ Church
                  Borough: Southwark
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 15-08-11, 22:05.

Comment

Thanks for looking Heather yes have the bap thanks , 1901 his Birth Place is mistranscribed as Birmingham but if you look it does say Bermondsey and occ House Painter Grainer worker

I didn't find him in 1901 or 1911 or the marriage Chris on here did

Comment

just found in 1881 a William Knight born abt 1853 in Surrey a Private in the 73rd Reg ,he is a visitor
                      and in 1871 again born in Surrey Lambeth ,a Private in the District Royal Marine Barracks in Kent suppose he could have lied about his age ?

Comment

Hi Val,

I know you said are not looking for him with his parents', why is that, have you already got him on one census with parents? If not, how have you traced him to George and Mary, a birth certificate or marriage certificate perhaps?

Comment

Hi Susan and thanks for looking

He isn't on any Census with his parents as they and the family disappear after 1851 ?? am finding William's siblings all over the place after 1861 but not the parents??? Do have his Baptism address 1 John's Place Grange Road Bermondsey.
                          Really would like to find records I may have missed as am trying to find what happened to the whole family.

Parents
                          George William Knight born 1815 Bermondsey
                          Mary Knight nee Leonard born 1818 St Martins

Comment

Val, do you have a link for George William Knight on any census please
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thats the only census I have the parents on have found what happened more or less to the children except for Mary Charlotte born 1859

am trying to narrow down my search for the parents either living or dead

Thanks Julie but dont kill yourself over them, they are a terrible lot to research.

Comment

im guessing by your new thread val, that you didnt see any likely service records on fmp? and i think maybe the parents deaths didnt reach the GRO index?

Comment

have to go out but back in a couple of hours in case anybody finds anything at all.

Comment

ooh, and if his birthplace was transcribed as 'birmingham' maybe you could look into the guys saying that as birthplace?

Comment

hi Kyle have not found the parents deaths as the name is so common there are lots of them, and not really sure when and where they died ?
                                      The last child was born in 1859 and that was Mary Charlotte.

Comment

Working...
                                      X