E-petiton Birth, Marriage & Death Research Copies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-petiton Birth, Marriage & Death Research Copies

Please Sign my e-petition if a UK citizen, also copy and paste this to your status updates on Facebook as need 100,000 signatures to get this read in parliament.

Please dont create a new e-petion just sign this one, to get to the 100,000 signature goal

http://epetitions.direct.gov.u​k/petitions/1792

knoxru

Are you not aware that the GRO has already attempted to make electronic copies of certificates and that the attempt has failed most spectacularly? (The DOVE project). Until there is a means of scanning certificates then your petition is in vain.

OC

Comment

And the way funding is being pulled from library, registrar and archive services in local authorities then the chance of new funds on top of the millions spent on the Dove project is very unlikely.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Bit of a negative response there knoxru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Negative, yes, Salty, but if a thing can't be done, it can't be done and all the petitions in the world won't alter that.

I also think that if you are going to start a petition about anything, you really ought to do some research first and find out why things are as they are and not as you would like them to be.

OC

EDIT - this is what I MEANT to say. I think Salty has taken my remarks personally when that was not my intention.

Negative yes, Salty, but if a thing can't be done, it can't be done and all the petitions in the world won't alter that.

I also think that if anyone is going to start a petition about anything, they really ought to do some research first and find out why things are as they are and not as they would like them to be.

Salty - I hope this clears up the misunderstanding about my original post.

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 14-08-11, 18:44.

Comment

OC I honestly dont see why you should find it necessary to have a pop at me, they did say at one time we couldn't reach the moon,how wrong they were. The way "I" would like them to be??? please remove your claws.

Comment

Why would an uncertified copy of a certificate be any cheaper to issue than a certifed one? It will involve the same amount of work for GRO staff plus the same cost in postage. The "certification" is only printed; the forms don't have to be individually signed and certified. Enough public money was wasted on DOVE without any more being spent on printing uncertified forms!
              ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Oooh, not popping at you Salty, sorry, when I said "you" I meant "you" in general, not "you" personally! You (Salty) didn't start this petition.

We didn't get to the moon by starting a petition, lol. We worked at the technology and then we got there. For many years, the technology just didn't exist.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by salty View Post
                  OC I honestly dont see why you should find it necessary to have a pop at me, they did say at one time we couldn't reach the moon,how wrong they were. The way "I" would like them to be??? please remove your claws.
                  Salty, I didn't read OC's post as having "a pop" at you. I took her remarks to be about the original post and the poster's wish and not aimed at you at all.
                  ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Well I did Ann,if it was not at me why mention my name????

Comment

Salty

Would you like me to amend my post so it is clearer what I meant? Only the first paragraph was meant as a reply to your post, the second paragraph was meant as a generalisation - "you" meaning "anyone".

OC

Comment

Do what you like OC.

Comment

OK, I will amend my post. I am sorry if I have upset you. I assure you that was not my intention. Why would I be having a pop at YOU - you did not start the petition.

OC

Comment

I think you are being a touch sensitive there Salty. I think it's obvious that OC meant the poster, or anyone starting a petition.

Can we have a group hug now please - lol
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes Chrissie perhaps but then why attack the poster with negative comments,better not to say anything,I'm sure thats not what he/she was expecting from a site purporting to be into family tree research,or should we all take it on board that what cant be done cant be done. !!!!!!

Comment

Hi All, all am gonna say is that if we get 100,000 people to sign it, it will be discussed in parliament, if we dont bother then nothing can be done, if we have a go and fail then at least we had a shot at it. Not saying anything further. Everyone, please dont over analyse this thread, if you're a UK citizen, just sign the petition and help increase the numbers on it and fingers crossed by Aug 2012 if enough have signed the MP's will at least talk about this and it will raise some awareness to the fact that other countries offer a research copy at cheaper rate rather than the fullyu certified cost. Ireland, Victoria Australia for example.

Comment

knoxru

I appreciate that you have the best of motives but why do you think the government will discuss this matter YET AGAIN when it has twice been raised in parliament and dismissed because the technology does not exist to scan bmd certificates to a consistently high standard.

If you are already aware of the facts about the DOVE project then that's fine. It appeared to me from the wording of your petition that you were not aware of the history of previous petitions and parliamentary discussions on this matter.

OC

Comment

Genealogy is only a hobby, parliament has more important work to do.

Comment

Petition for cheaper BMDs

There is an e-petition asking for cheaper non-certified copies of BMDs that many of us would like to have for our family tree research purposes. It can be found at:

If you agree, please sign it and (fingers crossed) it might get somewhere!

Comment

Bertie,
                                        Thanks for bringing this to the attention of our members.
                                        We had a thread about it a couple of weeks ago which I will check back on and find.

Probably best that I merge the two together, or else we will have the same discussions as we had before!

Edit: now merged!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X