No announcement yet.

Who would marry in St Pauls Cathedral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would marry in St Pauls Cathedral?

Been trawling marriages for my Badcock family. Ive found one that fits perfectly for date of first childs birth, both names fit too BUT its in St Pauls Cathedral. Now, did you have to be of special standing to marry there or was it treated like any church? The couple are both from Oxford. Any ideas please?

Probably doesn't answer your question really Heather but found this.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

The Cathedral is still a 'working church'. A full list of daily services and special events is listed on the official website. It is possible to get married, or have your children baptised there, but only if you are the holder of a very short list of British Orders and decorations.

Katherine

Comment

Hmm,. possibly not my couple then Thanks

Comment

I have a few who were married/baptised at Manchester Cathedral, it's not as grand as it sounds becuase again it's a working church and served as the local Parish Church, the question is, does the same apply historically to St Pauls?
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

My friend over the road got her daughter baptised there (born up here and lives up here ) and her aunty got married there , only dif is aunty lives in London ???
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

"The couple are both from Oxford. "

Heather , do you mean
            they both originated from Oxford rather than London?
            or
            they were both from Oxford at the time of the marriage? If so, was it by lic?

What date was the marriage? Did St Paul's serve as a parish church? Can you see what other comparative marriages took place there? (That might give some idea of frequency or status.)

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

i should think it was like any church, anyone could marry there- though for cathedrals, i dont think you had to be resident in the parish. was it a mass wedding? manchester cathedral used to be free to marry in on days like xmas, so you'd have hundreds of weddings on days like that.

Comment

This may answer that question Heather.

but that is today, cannot find anything that answers the question whether it served as a parish church at one time.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-08-11, 12:08.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Just a thought - was the groom anything to do with the City of London? Father a member of a livery company or alderman for example?
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X