Fathers name query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fathers name query

Please can I have your opinions on this.

I found on the 1841 51 and 61 censuses twins Isaac and Lucy and brother Robert Sporle with parents Robert and Mary. Robert is a farmer living Green, Hempnall, Norfolk. All born Hempnall.

eg 1851 HO107; Piece: 1821; Folio: 598; Page: 1;

However the Norfolk Baptismal records show Isaac and Lucy were bap 3 Aug 1830 to parents RICHARD Sporle and Mary, late Lodge. Baptismal records show Father Richard as a farmer.

The same for Robert bap Jun 19 1821

I haven't yet found a marriage for ROBERT/RICHARD Sporle/SPALL

Who is the correct father???

Thanks Kathy
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-08-11, 19:02. Reason: Richard not \Robert
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Well if dad turns up on 3 consecutive censuses as Robert that must have been the name he was known by. If he shows on 2 separate baptism entries as Richard either the same person transcibed these (I'm guessing you have looked at a transcription rather than original?) and couldn't read writing, OR the vicar knew he was really Richard though known as Robert OR their father really was Richard Sporle and between 1830 and 1841 he died and mum remarried (or at least lived with) a different man called Robert Sporle.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Have posted the original Judith as an edit above.
      Kat

Comment

However the Norfolk Baptismal records show Isaac and Lucy were bap 3 Aug 1830 to parents RICHARD Sporle and Mary, late Lodge. Baptismal records show Father Richard as a farmer.
        I don't quite understand what possible record there could be in 1830 - except perhaps a Bishop's Transcript - which could show the father as "Richard". That is, surely, the Baptism record of which we are looking at an image? That image shows the father as "Robert". Anything else must surely be a mistranscription.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

But surely that original has father as Robert so where are you seeing Richard?
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There's a marriage which shows up twice (presumably PR & BT) on the IGI - so you could possibly locate the image on FamilySearch:
            20 Oct 1819 —Friston / Fritton
            Mary LODGE/LEDGE & Robert SPORLE

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes. It's in Fritton.

Entry No 13 in the parish register:
              Robert SPORLE, of the Parish
              of [Fl,H]emenhall, single man,
              and Mary LODGE of this Parish,
              single woman,
              were married in this Church by Banns
              this twentieth Day of
              October in the Year One Thousand eight hundred and nineteen
              By me Henry HOWARD Officiating Minister
              This Marriage was solemnized between us { Robert Spall his X mark {Mary Lodge (signed)
              In the Presence of { Isaac LODGE {Sarah ?????[Huhks]
              Perhaps that parish name I couldn't read is supposed to be Hempnall?

Christine

Comment

I'm abit confused Kat, on the image you have posted it shows ROBERT as the father, and the 1851 census shows ROBERT as the father, so where does RICHARD come in? (or have I missed something) I also notice in later census, there is a ROBERT with a CHARLOTTE as a wife, is this the same person and Mary has died??
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I must be going bananas. I have been working on this family all afternoon from the parish records which are quite blurred and my eyes are not too good these days. I can see it is Robert now quite clearly but I wrote it down in my notes as Richard before adding to the tree :o and continued being confused all afternoon. This family is all Thomas, Richard and Roberts However thanks for the other info you found re the marriage etc. Have found that now on the images.

Julie,
                  Mary was a widow in 1871, It's another Robert from another Sporle family I am trying to connect
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-08-11, 20:40.
                  Kat

Comment

I know what you mean Kat, you get that engrossed you get bog eyed... been there got the t shirt, have a break, and come back fresh and ready to tackle 'em. :smilee:
                    maybe this other Robert is a cousin, I must admit I havent heard of that name before either.
                    Julie

Comment

My Grandmother's family is Sporle. I'm doing a ONS for them I found this lot in Norfolk but as yet not linked them to mine :( There are pockets of them all over the country.
                      Kat

Comment

ooh is it for the GOONS Kat? or just a simplified ONS? for family members and suchlike?
                        Julie

Comment

It's certainly an interesting enough name to merit an ONS, I'd have thought!

Christine

Comment

For me really, it's quite fascinating. Anyway I have another indecipherable name in a marriage I've put it up on a seperate thread.
                            Kat

Comment

Ahhhhhhh I see now - people can be so cruel lol
                              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-08-11, 15:37.
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

;)
                                Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X