Christopher Henry BAILEY - West Bromwich & Exeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christopher Henry BAILEY - West Bromwich & Exeter

I have finally found a missing person in my family tree - Christopher Henry BAILEY born 1914 West Bromwich, STS who married Gladys Joan CRUMP in 1940. Apparently Christopher & Gladys retired to a Exonia Park near Exeter, Devon where they died in the late 1980s.

Now trying to trace any children of this couple with whom I could exchange family history.
    Last edited by BCWench; 13-08-11, 11:52. Reason: spelling mistake

Do you have Ancestry? If you do then put your tree on there and hopefully someone will get in touch; it doesn't need to be a public tree as the names and dob's on a private tree will show up to everyone but without showing any connections to other relatives. Also you will get hints which will guide you to other trees sharing the same interest.
    Do you belong to Genes Reunited? same as above applies.
    Roots web is a good place for contacts too. There are other places to which you can upload a gedcom of your tree.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The death certificate of whichever one died last might have a relative as informant.

Gwyn

Comment

There are two possible children born of the marriage, but not till 1950 and 51. See Freebmd for details.

OC

Comment

otherWelcome to FTF, BCWench!

I narrowly escaped heavy-handed moderation when I got to your last sentence and found that the names are no longer living! Phew!

Now.... to your question ...
          I can see the index entry for the marriage in 1940q2 in W Brom. I see from the WestMidlandsBMD site, that the marriage took place in All Saints, West Brom. If you don't already have the cert, you might be able to get an image of the parish register. Then you'd have copies of the actual signatures.

I've had a look on FMP, and - unless there are some mistranscriptions - there's not much to suggest that there were any children of that marriage. There's a possible 1950 registration, in London, and another 1951 in Oxfordshire - but they (almost certainly) belong to BAILEY/CRUMP marriages which took place in same the areas, with the right sort of dates. There appear to be about a dozen such marriages between 1940 and 2005.

If you get the death certs for the couple (at GBP 9.25 each) there might be some useful info there - but it's unlikely to be conclusive. You couldn't presume that a notifier not being a son or daughter mean that there were never any sons or daughters. CHB died April 1987. Gladys didn't die until Dec 1997. In both cases, the deaths are late enough to give a specific DoB in the index.

The death certs would give you specific enough info to see if they'd left any Wills. The Ancestry index goes up only to 1941, but you should be able to get non-online access to the index up to much more recent dates. A copy of one or other WIll might give you an indication of whether or not there could be anyone else who'd have had an interest in their part of the tree. I've had a look on the current Bona Vacantia list, and there's nothing to suggest that any estate went unclaimed.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 13-08-11, 13:05.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Re: Christopher Henry BAILEY

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.

I have made a note to check out the couple's Wills at the Probate Office.

Although the two children on FreeBMD appear to be rather late after the marriage I had not ruled them out because of the areas they were born. Christopher and Gladys' last address was a residential park for the over 50s, so presumably they retired there but could have spent their working life in a different part (or parts) of the country.

Yes, I can see that the second death certificate might be enlightening with regard to the informant, so need to send for this.

I will mull over the rest of the suggestions - many thanks.

Comment

Although the two children on FreeBMD appear to be rather late after the marriage I had not ruled them out because of the areas they were born. Christopher and Gladys' last address was a residential park for the over 50s, so presumably they retired there but could have spent their working life in a different part (or parts) of the country.

This is true, but the births in question were
              Ealing 1950q1
              Henley 1951q4

There are marriages of groom BAILEY / bride CRUMP:
              Ealing 1949q1
              Henley 1951q1
              and there's also
              Cambridge 1978q4
              Oswestry 1980q4

There are a couple of other births which don't necessarily match to any particular marriage:
              Reading 1955q2
              Manchester 1963q1

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X