Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Smith, Emma Rutkin, Anne Taylor, Ellen Mills,

Dear Sir /Madam,

I am trying to track down my relations from Coggleshall, Essex, Coleschester, England and they were Joseph Smith and Emma Rutkin, his wife and Joseph Smith and Anne Taylor his wife and then there was Joseph Smith and Ellen Mills his wife, and were married in Coggleshall Cathedral, Essex, Coleschester, England.

I think one of them were married in 1784 and another 1829 or 1834 and another in 1852, but I do not know who belongs to who and whether there were any children of these marriages and they left for New Zealand in 1873-1874.

Would there be any Records about the Smith Family in Choggleshall and if anyone has information about the Family I would appreciate it. I know it is a common surname but i would like to track down the family.

Thank you for your help in this matter

Charmaine Simmonds

Charmaine

I see you've been a member here for nearly a year, but welcome anyway. It's easiest for people to help you if you show us what information you already have about these people and also where you found the information. For example the emigration to New Zealand would be a good starting point for working backwards. You should be able to find the families in the 1871, 1861 and 1851 censuses.

You seem to be unsure about how to spell the placenames. The correct spellings are Coggeshall and Colchester. Neither place has a cathedral. Colchester comes under Chelmsford Cathederal, and Coggeshall is a large village or small town.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

At the moment, the relevant registers with marriages as late as 1784 aren't imaged, but, eventually, you may find what you want here: http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Default.asp

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        Charmaine

I see you've been a member here for nearly a year, but welcome anyway. It's easiest for people to help you if you show us what information you already have about these people and also where you found the information. For example the emigration to New Zealand would be a good starting point for working backwards. You should be able to find the families in the 1871, 1861 and 1851 censuses.

You seem to be unsure about how to spell the placenames. The correct spellings are Coggeshall and Colchester. Neither place has a cathedral. Colchester comes under Chelmsford Cathederal, and Coggeshall is a large village or small town.
        Dear Uncle John,

Thank you for your information and Joseph Smith and Emma Rutkin were married in Great Coggeshall, Essex and they came out to New Zealand on 02 October 1874 on the "Dilharree" Ship with the family of 10 Children and then had another 2 in New Zealand.

I will have a look on the England Census and see where they lived

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          At the moment, the relevant registers with marriages as late as 1784 aren't imaged, but, eventually, you may find what you want here: http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Default.asp

Christine
          Dear Christine,

Thank you for your information and I will check out the web site about the Smith marriages.

Regards

Charmaine Simmodns

Comment

Working...
          X