Your opinion and help wanted - Hardy in Northampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion and help wanted - Hardy in Northampton

Jeremiah Hardy was born in Sutton, near Peterborough ca. 1799. I have managed to trace him through all censuses, he married Eleanor Yarwood in 1828, and they went on to have 12 children, and Jeremiah died in 1872, still in Peterborough. I have found baptisms for 10 of the 12 children all in Peterborough. Here is Jeremiah and family in 1851 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6146815

My query is this - on the Familysearch site there is a baptism for a Jeremiah Hardy in Peterborough on 10 Jan 1845, parents Jeremiah and Catherine. As my Jeremiah and Eleanor had a son Alfred, born in Mar q 1845 (no baptism found for him), and before him had a son James baptised August 1843, I don't think this Jeremiah is from the same family. I haven't been able to find any trace of a Jeremiah Hardy in the BMD registers for ca. 1845, no death that would match up and no trace of him in any censuses. I am wondering if this could be my Jeremiah, being baptised as an adult. Presumably the only way of finding this out would be to search the registers and hope it was noted on there.

How likely do you think this would be?

Linda

Oops posted on wrong board - could someone move this for me please:o Thanks
    Last edited by ozgirl; 12-08-11, 16:23.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

You don't think it could have been your Jeremiah do you Linda, suddenly realising in his 40's that he hadn't been baptised and deciding that he wanted to be? Do you know what his parents names were?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If mother's name hadn't been wrong I'd have suggested this was actually your Alfred and that parents changed their minds about the baby's name between baptism and registration. I'd certainly want to look at the original in case there are clues there.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I wonder if the vicar has recorded the wrong info i.e. Jeremiah not Alfred & Catherine not Eleanor.

Do you have Alfred's birth cert? If he was born after this Jeremiah's baptism then it rules that out as being his baptism. If he was born before it is possible it's his baptism, or as you say his fathers.
        Jay

Comment

Thanks for moving this and for the comments. Unfortunately, I have not yet found Jeremiah's birth anywhere - I can't seem to find much for Sutton, I think it was very small. I have no idea what Jeremiahs parents names were. Alfred was registered in the Mar Q for 1845, so it is possible that they changed his name after the baptism, but the use of Catherine for the mother is confusing. On all other baptisms she is Eleanor/Ellenor/Ellen, or other derivatives of that name.

Alfred was a private in the army in 1871, but I can't find any military records for him. I think I will have to think about getting some discs for Peterborough area, see what is available, as a lot of OH's family came from this area so they might come in useful.

Linda
          Last edited by ozgirl; 12-08-11, 17:58.
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
          X