Bankruptcy 1894/95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy 1894/95

I've just found that my gg-grandfather was declared bankrupt in 1894/5 - he was a bootmaker in East Dereham, Norfolk.

Does anyone know how to find out more detail - perhaps find the original documents?
    Does anyone know more generic details - such as how long it applied for, and the implications of it as far as family life was concerned?

Edit: have just found http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...after-1869.htm

Many thanks!
    Last edited by wulliam; 12-08-11, 16:12.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Dont know the ins and outs Wulliam, but one of my ancestors was regularly bankrupt in London.

Im sure someone will give you better advice but as your family are in Dereham, its a good chance they may have ended up in the very big workhouse at Gressenhall.

Comment

Thanks for the link Heather - looks like an excellent day out if we ever make it that far south!
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

You might find a bit of info here:

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

To support Christine's suggestion, each stage of bankruptcy proceedings is normally recorded in the London Gazette. If you are lucky you can follow the whole story, which may take up to 5 years.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks to you both - will follow that up tomorrow. I think an early night is in order tonight!
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

Working...
            X