death of francis mcintosh/macintosh born approx 1778 in alston/arthuret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death of francis mcintosh/macintosh born approx 1778 in alston/arthuret

I am trying to find a death or marriage of a francis mcintosh who was born to a charles mcintosh and mary teasdale in 1778 in arthuret/ or alston. They have connections to canonbie in scotland as charles, and his siblings were born there to francis mcintosh and hanna nee forrester/forster. The difficulty is that there are two possible francis's. One was the son of charles, born 1778 and one was the son of james and mary nee bell, born around 1774 in canonbie/ or arthuret.
    Charles and james, the potential dads, were brothers, james born 1741 ish and charles born 1750.
    I have a francis marrying a sarah graham in canonbie and or arthuret in 1799. This is the one whose father we think is james. To prove this i need to trace what happened to the other francis, wether he died or married and somehow to say for sure he is the son of charles and mary nee teasdale.
    I have been unable to locate a death or marriage for certain.
    can anyone out there help me with my dielemma?
    frankie

ps i know that francis who married sarah graham moved to great harwood in lancashire and had most of their children there. i think we have that persons death in 1826, aged fifty, but that would make him born in 1776, which creates a dilemma again. very confusing .
    Last edited by frankieb; 11-08-11, 16:33.

Welcome to FTF, frankieb!

I recommend - especially as you have quite a tangle there for which you're after some help - that you make it as easy as possible for anyone looking in. I don't know how experienced you are in genealogy, but the convention of putting surnames in upper-case really makes them much easier to spot (and to distinguish from given names, which can be tricky if you have, e.g., an Arthur DAVID - who could be David ARTHUR!); and, even if it isn't particularly necessary on a day-to-day basis, it's easier to read if the proper names (for both people and places) have upper-case initials. It's also worth looking at how you lay out the info, to see if you can tempt people in: a big block of text can be daunting.

Whereabouts is the Alston, to which you refer in your question? I can see one in Cumbria - but it's the kind of name which turns up in other places (though not as bad as "Alton" or "Newton" of which there appear to be lots!) ... On reflection, it must be that, because Arthuret is also in Cumbria.

Have you tried looking in the FamilySearch records for the Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts? They do include Alston-with-Garrigill (1760-1839 & 1762-1830)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you looked on ScotlandsPeople to see what McINTOSH records there are for Canonbie?

I can see the Great Harwood family on the Lancs OPC site and the IGI. They had a tough time with so many of their children dying young. I've spotted ten children of which at least 4 died before they were 21.

It certainly makes sense for that Francis to be the death/burial in 1826, since the burial is in the churchyard of the place where all those family events are also recorded. But equally, I can see that the age puts him right between the two ages you'd expect: just enough to erode the confidence.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-08-11, 21:05.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks for the advice, i will try to do that in future posts . Someone has spotted a death of Charles MCINTOSH in Alston in 1823/26 and someone has also found Frankie MCINTOSH death in 1780, which is possibly the Francis MCINTOSH born in Alston in 1778 to Charles MCINTOSH.

Comment

Just in case you are not aware .... Alston (although in the same county) is a long way from Arthuret. I did a bit of a study for someone else on Arthuret parish and it was quite common to have events for people from over the border in "North Britain" as they termed Scotland in the parish records!!

Anne

Comment

It's also worth pointing out that Berwick on Tweed (England) is further north than a big chunk of southern Scotland. I've got a couple of Northumbrian families where the wife is from "Scotland", and actually from only a few miles away on the other side of the River Tweed.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

mcintosh's

Thanks to all who have given me great advice and info on here. Think i found the answer, one of the Francis MCINTOSH , born in 1778 is presumed dead, and have found a burial at least for charles MCINTOSH in Alston. I drove up to canonbie and passed by arthuret and went towards Alston last week, and was surprised at how close they all actually are to each other. Still, they must have done some trekking or riding up and down those old roads in those days, and it must have taken an age to get to Great harwood from Alston in those days.!

Comment

That sounds really useful, frankieb! Well done on your progress - and thank you for sharing it with us.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X