Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall re Huntingdonshire birth

Hi

I have hit a large brick wall. I am trying to find my 7 x G Grandfather but have had no joy. My 6 x G grandfather was John Levis b 1784, Huntingdonshire and died 1825. He Married Rachel Southwell and had six children.

I am trying to identify John's parents and any siblings.

Thanks

Dave

have you tried freereg? coverage of huntingdonshire is sketchy, but there is some for huntingdon if he is from there.

Comment

Dave, am moving your thread over to our Research Qs & As forum to see if anyone can offer some suggestions.

The Research Requests forum, where you have posted, is for specific lookups at local record offces/libraries but I think you need to pinpoint a date and place first before anyone can help with a specific lookup.
      Elaine

Comment

and and marriage
        Originally posted by dave192 View Post
        Hi

I have hit a large brick wall. I am trying to find my 7 x G Grandfather but have had no joy. My 6 x G grandfather was John Levis b 1784, Huntingdonshire and died 1825. He Married Rachel Southwell and had six children.

I am trying to identify John's parents and any siblings.

Thanks

Dave
        Hi John,
        How did you get this far back? ie where did you get the date for John's birth and marriage from?
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Where are you in Hunts? Hunts borders Northants and Beds. My own famliies are in Northants but hopping over the border to Hunts for Marriages/Baptisms and hopping back again, so to have got so far back you must be heavily into a village or villages? Coverage of Hunts on Free Reg is sketchy but coverage of Northants is pretty good.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 16-08-11, 20:01.

Comment

His burial was at St Andrew's, Sawtry.

Perhaps you could start with their PRs.

Where did he marry?
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sorry I have not replied till now (up to my eyes with uni).

All the info I have was given to my farther some years ago and I had to connect it all to gather which was hard because I had to link what I was given to my grandfather.

In the info I revived info it listed a John Levis b1784 d 1825 (LEAVIS) and he married a Rachel Southwell b1785 d1850 and they had 7 children of which 2 died young. Rachel remarried a Richard Wright I believe. All the children were John's.

I have searched every where I can think of and had no joy finding John or Rachel. I have found the following info;

Farther: Barnabas Levis
              Mother: Mary Cook

They married in 1765, Belgrave, Leicester, not sure where they were born.

They had two children born in Leicester (probably Chapelry of Thurmaston):

Barnabas born 7 Feb 1785
              John born 12 May 1872

This is the only John with a birth date close to mine and also the birth of this John is not far from Sawtry, St Andrews Huntington where John and Rachel's children were born.

The problem I have is I live in Cornwall and I am unable to get to Truro to the family history center. If any could help I would be most grateful.

Dave

Comment

I cannot get anywhere with this Dave.
                Perhaps it would be better to work backwards from something you definitely know.
                You say " I had to connect it all to gather which was hard because I had to link what I was given to my grandfather."
                Perhaps if we had your grandfather's or great grandfather's details we can go back from there?
                dates of birth , marriages and any census info you have would be a good start. .
                Kat

Comment

just because you cant find the info online doesnt mean its not there. id keep that poss bap as a thought, and id look in huntingdon for the bap first.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    I cannot get anywhere with this Dave.
                    Perhaps it would be better to work backwards from something you definitely know.
                    You say " I had to connect it all to gather which was hard because I had to link what I was given to my grandfather."
                    Perhaps if we had your grandfather's or great grandfather's details we can go back from there?
                    dates of birth , marriages and any census info you have would be a good start. .

Ok I will give you my grandfather detail and go back to John.

1) William Arthur Levis b Dec 22 1910 D Oct 1997 both events in Salford. He married Mary M Briggs 1912 - 1944. Their marrage was around 1936ish. My grandfather remarried sometime after WW2 to a Alice Lythgo.

2) William's farther was; Aaron William Levis 1881 (Ramsey Hampshire) - 1920 (Salford). He married Elizabeth Murray 1884? - 1914 Salford.

3) Aaron's farther was; Reuben Levis 1859 (Ramsey Huntington) - 1939 (Salford). He married Hannah Ardon 1862 (Kilnhurst, Yorkshire) - 1948 Salford

4) Reuben's farther was; Reuben Levis 1826? - 1871 both events believed to be in Huntington. He married Mary Taylor 1882 (Sawtry all Saints Huntington) - 1907 (Whittlesey Cambrigdeshire)

5) Reuben's farther was: John Levis (Leaves) 1784 - 1825 Huntingdonshire. He married Rachel Southwell 1785 - 1850 Huntingdonshire. Rachel married a Robert Wright when John died and from what we can tell they had no children.

All of the above had 5 or more children except Aaron and William as they only had three each. (William gained three step children although my dad only remembers two)

Hope this helps

Dave

Comment

Do I take it you don't have any certificates? The marriage to Mary I B Briggs was in 1937, the marriage to Alice Lythgoe or Jones was in 1949.

If you don't have either of those marriage certs, how do you know who his parents were?

OC

Comment

I note you have 1881 Ramsey Hampshire and then later on Ramsey Hunts. Which is it? Romsey is in Hampshire but I have not heard of a Ramsey Hampshire though I may be mistaken. Ramsey is a big parish in Hunts.

Looking at the Genuki parish maps for Hunts I see that Sawtree is not far from the Giddings, Great and Little Gidding and one other Gidding and these places feature heavily for cross border Marriages and Baptisms. I also note that Katarzyna has found one of yours for Stanion Northants and Stanion is near Brigstock. All these areas contained many manor houses where people worked, but as suggested you do need the Certs before going any further.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 19-08-11, 20:24.

Comment

I see you have the marriage details of John and Rachel from your postings on RootsChat :
                          1806 Sawtry All Saints John LAVESS and Rachel SOUTHWELL.

On another post:

Living in Sawtry in 1851 was Thomas Levis 43 born Stanion, Northants. Also in the same houshold was John Levis brother widower 29 b Sawtry, and Robert Wright father in law ie step father.

It could be that Rachel was born in Sawtry but John in Stanion hence they married there.
                          Those people have worked very hard for you at RootsChat and I don't think anyone can help unless they visit the RO for you.
                          On RC you seem to be avoiding the question asked if you have certification on any of these. Finding John is pointless unless you are absolutely sure you have gone down the correct path in the first place.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Do I take it you don't have any certificates? The marriage to Mary I B Briggs was in 1937, the marriage to Alice Lythgoe or Jones was in 1949.

If you don't have either of those marriage certs, how do you know who his parents were?

OC
                            Let me explain how I have got where I am. My dad, his brother and sister did not know when their parents married or how their mum (Mary I B Briggs) died or when. It took a while but through posting on another site asking for info relating to my nan, some kind lady found their marriage and from that was able to go right back from my grandfather to his GG grandfather and from this I was able to piece the info I had together. The names dates of the poeple she found matched what I had in my hand.

My grandfather and his sisters (whom I never saw) never talked about the family or how Mary died (there are a few stories about this), my dad thinks he and his brother (twin) were 4 when their mum died so that puts her death in 1944. The records office in Manchester do not hold Mary's death certificate, so when I have spare cash I am doing a bulk certificate run for my grandparent's birth, marriage and death. My grandfather married Alice Lythgoe.

Dave
                            Last edited by dave192; 19-08-11, 21:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                              I note you have 1881 Ramsey Hampshire and then later on Ramsey Hunts. Which is it? Romsey is in Hampshire but I have not heard of a Ramsey Hampshire though I may be mistaken. Ramsey is a big parish in Hunts.

Looking at the Genuki parish maps for Hunts I see that Sawtree is not far from the Giddings, Great and Little Gidding and one other Gidding and these places feature heavily for cross border Marriages and Baptisms. I also note that Katarzyna has found one of yours for Stanion Northants and Stanion is near Brigstock. All these areas contained many manor houses where people worked, but as suggested you do need the Certs before going any further.

Janet
                              Sorry my mistake its Ramsey Hunts not Ramsey Hampshire

Comment

Is the Salford you mention the one adjacent to Manchester in Lancashire or one of the several villages named Salford, dotted around the Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire area?
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                  Is the Salford you mention the one adjacent to Manchester in Lancashire or one of the several villages named Salford, dotted around the Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire area?
                                  Its salford Manchester.

Dave

Comment

If this were my search, the first thing i would do is get the marriage cert to Alice Lythgoe Jones. That will tell you whether he was a widower or a divorce. There are many people on this and other forums who will tell you that just because your father was told his mother had died, didn't mean she actually had died.

I cannot see your father's birth registration if he was a twin, but maybe it hasn't been transcribed yet on freebmd. In fact I can only see one Levis/Briggs birth and that was a female in 1939.

OC
                                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 19-08-11, 21:50. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      If this were my search, the first thing i would do is get the marriage cert to Alice Lythgoe Jones. That will tell you whether he was a widower or a divorce. There are many people on this and other forums who will tell you that just because your father was told his mother had died, didn't mean she actually had died.

I cannot see your father's birth registration if he was a twin, but maybe it hasn't been transcribed yet on freebmd. In fact I can only see one Levis/Briggs birth and that was a female in 1939.

OC
                                      The Levis/Briggs birth 1939 is my dad's sister. He was born the following year.

I have been told by my farther and his brother that while their farther served in the was their sister lived with one of their dads sister and they lived with the other after their mother died. But you have got me thinking because my dad or his siblings have never mentioned ever seeing the mother's family and I have just spoken to my dad and he only realy remebers his dads family. So I will track down my grandfathers marriage cert to Alice.

Dave
                                      Last edited by dave192; 19-08-11, 22:05.

Comment

Alice has always been known as Lythgoe and not Jones. On my grandfathers will he mentions all the children he had with Mary Briggs and only one child of Alice and the surname given was Lythgoe.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                        X