This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden shut down

Does anyone know why my pc should suddenly shut itself down? No warning, its just shuts down completely. It always happens late at night (like now!) and I can always restart it, no problem. It doesn't appear to be an overheating problem but it does seem to happen if I'm playing a particular game.
    Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Overheating is what sprang to my mind before reading your post, I must admit!
    Possibilities include:
    1. game is demanding more of the computer than other applications - graphics, memory, CPU speed, sound - and something gives way
    2. slightly loose component (graphics card etc)
    3. Surge protector is not doing its job (I'm told they gradually stop functioning over time)
    4. not enough disk space for the game's temporary storage needs (or disk needs a defrag, which can slow down the access)
    5. virus
    6. bug in game or in Operating System or slight incompatibility between them

If it has only just started to happen, ask yourself what changed. Updated version of Operating System or some aspect of it, game, moved the computer (which may have shaken something loose), habits of what else is running at the same time?

Is there a user forum for the game? Look there (and post there if need be) to see if others have had the same problem. It may not solve the problem but it can offer comfort!

Early this year, I had a similar problem (but it was a freeze not shutdown) occurring randomly, sometimes when nothing was running. In my case it was cured by a routine OS update, but this has not cured it for some other people.

In the meantime, make sure you save your game (if this is possible) frequently. And don't let it get you down!

Comment

Thanks Col. I don't think it can be the game causing it as its only a facebook game. I have noticed a couple of times that the lights flicker about the time it happens and it is also about the same time that the street lights go out, which makes me wonder if it is a power issue.
      Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Working...
      X