Advice needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed please.

I'm currently trying to trace my 4x Grt Grandmother further back but I am not having much luck.

Here are the details I have:

Ann Proudlove/Proudly born 1815 Bishop Norton Lincolnshire.

Married William Lidgard/Lidgett 1839 North Kelsey Lincolnshire. Ann's father on the marriage cert is stated as William Proudly Cottager.

I have tried to find a baptism for Ann but can't find one with a father William, but there is a baptism for an Ann Proudlove 1815 Bishop Norton with parents John and Mary.

Could the fathers name on the marriage cert be wrong or is there 2 Ann's born the same year?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Hello Kelly,

did An have any sisters? did they marry, what names did they give on their marriage certs? might be a route to look at.. though the bapt does state John as the father, maybe she didnt know her dads name?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

I don't know if Ann had any siblings.

On the marriage cert the witnesses are a Fanny Marshall and John Ashlin. I haven't found any connections to the witnesses.

Kelly

Comment

ahhh well doing a search on www.familysearch.org and a search for parents John/Mary Proudlove brings up two more girls, Elizabeth & Hannah @ Bishops Norton.

click on this link to see them: https://www.familysearch.org/search/...enname%3Amary~

6th one down is Hannah @ B/Norton.

do you know of Lincstothepast? site? they have some prs apparently for BN that you can access. I'll have a look for you.
        Julie

Comment

this might not work but worth a shot:

http://www.lincstothepast.com

that didnt work then.. when you get to the site, click on 'Advanced search' type in Bishops Norton and make sure you check the image box is ticked underneath.

:smilee: happy hunting!
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 10-08-11, 14:07.
          Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

I have just recently found that website. I have had a look at the baptisms and found the same as you.

There is also a Ann Proudlove baptism in 1807 parents John and JANE, but I did find a burial which I think may be for this Ann in 1808.

Comment

I think John may have been married twice.

There are some baptisms with parents john and Jane and some with John and Mary.

I have just found a burial for a Jane Proudlove this states she was born 1772 and died 1810 spouses name is given as John.

Comment

I have just found a marriage for John Proudlove to a Mary MARSHALL, 1810 Bishop Norton.

So, Fanny Marshall who was the witness to Anns wedding may be related to Ann on her mothers side.

Comment

That certainly sounds like a plausible scenario.

You'll need more evidence before you can rely on it absolutely.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

that sounds very likely.. if he had small children he would need someone to look after them whilst he was at work.. well done kelly! though you will praps need to do abit more digging to prove & link it to your family. It might also mean that Fanny was a sister to Mary, guess it depends if she was a widower at her marriage to John?
                    Julie

Comment

do you have john on the 1841 census?
                      Julie

Comment

John might have died, I have found a Mary in the 1841 though she is living alone and an upholsterer...

1841: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1
                        Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thank you for the 1841, I hadn't found John so I have been trying to find a death for him.

Comment

I don't know if this link will work, but this is the marriage for John and Mary, can you read the witnesses names?

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Record...7776&iid=55486

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                              I don't know if this link will work, but this is the marriage for John and Mary, can you read the witnesses names?

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Record...7776&iid=55486
                              I'd say that the witnesses were:
                              Zechariah WILSON & Bartholomew BREWER

And Mary MARSHALL was a spinster.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looks like Zechariah to me too. Agree with the other names.
                                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you Christine and Kat, for your help.

I did think the first name looked like Zechariah Wilson, but wasn't sure about Bartholomew's surname. I noticed that Bartholomew was also a witness to another marriage on that page.

Comment

Zechariah WILSON & Bartholomew BREWER it looks like..
                                    Julie

Comment

I have been looking through the parish records on lincstothepast and have found the following:

1) Burial for John Proudlove 27th Nov 1818 Bishop Norton aged 58

2) Baptism for Mary Marshall 16th Aug 1778 Bishop Norton parents Robert and Hannah

3) Baptism for Frances Marshall 8th May 1894 Bishop Norton parents Robert and Hannah (there is also some more baptisms for other children between Ann and Frances)

4) Marriage for Robert Marshall to Hannah Blythe 30th May 1778 Bishop Norton

So if the death for John Proudlove in 1818, this could explain why Ann listed her father as William on her marriage. Ann would have only been 3 when her father died, so maybe she didn't know/remember his name?

Comment

The Mary Marshall baptism I found is wrong. That baptism is for a Ann Marshall, I got my Mary and Ann mixed up!:o

Ahhh well back to the drawing board!

Comment

Working...
                                        X