Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry membership

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice really,
    I have the basic subscription for ancestry- can look up censuses and thats it

I am now trying to 'fill out' a bit if my family tree, I do live in the county this family (Cumberland/ Cumbria) are from so do have access to the records office and library, My question I suppose is has anybody found a lot of cumberland records on Ancestry? Is it worth the extra money in regards to the amout of records for this area? Does anyone know if the premium subscription or Worldwide would be best?

thanks

Gemma

If you have the asic subscription and access to the local records office I think you should just stick with that.
    If you need anything else you could always ask for a look up.
    Jane
    Last edited by Guest; 10-08-11, 00:57.

Comment

i agree. you have the census, and asides from that you need parish registers, which will be in the local records office.

Comment

I think there may be some relevant records appearing on the FamilySearch site? Or are they not as far north as that?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Most libraries in the UK have free access to the full version of Ancestry. Why not try their version to see if they have any Cumberland records? I don't find Ancestry strong on Parish Records. In fact, many of the ones they have are also free on Family Search (LDS).

Comment

Thanks all, I'll try the Library version next time Im in- I didnt realise it was the full version

An I'm off to familysearch now- I've not looked in a while so there might be something new :-)

Gemma

Comment

Originally posted by GemmaMcManus View Post
              Thanks all, I'll try the Library version next time Im in- I didnt realise it was the full version

An I'm off to familysearch now- I've not looked in a while so there might be something new :-)

Gemma
              \

I think you'll find it's the nearly-full version. You just can't search other people's trees - or I couldn't last time - and nor can you make contact (logical, because youi're logged in as a library member, not yourself). Otherwise, you should find you have access to worldwide records.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X