Adelaide Crozier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adelaide Crozier

I have been doing a bit of research for a friend as she was stuck.......well now I am too.

Adelaide Marie Madeleine Crozier born abt 1882 (place unknown)....married 1910 in Orange NSW to Alexander Varcoe.

Her parents on the marriage certificate are Charles Crozier and Carrie Medland.

But on her death certificate is says her father was John Crozier...I don;t have the names of the witnesses tot he marriage or infomant of the death.

Adelaide and Alexander had a daughter Felice....which is not a common name.

So I am toying with the idea that her parents maybe John Crozier and Emily Caroline Jessie Medland..... because they had a daughter with the name of Carrie Felice Elizabeth Crozier....and others inthe family had the three christian names.

Any suggesions.

I would have thought the father's name on the marriage certificate is more likely to be the most accurate as Adelaide herself has given that information whereas the father's name on her death certificate has been given by someone else who may not have been so sure of the facts.
    Where have you got the name Emily Caroline Jessie Medland from?

Carrie is possibly a shortening of Caroline.
    Margaret

Comment

I'd agree with Margaret's logic.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Do you have the father's occupation as given the marriage cert?

In the Trove resource, there's a reference in The Sydney Morning Herald of Saturday 12 May 1883 of John Charles CROZIER qualifying as a doctor.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On the other hand there's an Easter poem submitted by a Carrie CROZIER Western Mail (Perth, WA) Saturday 15 April 1911.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 09-08-11, 17:20.

Comment

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.) Tuesday 3 December 1907 includes a letter from Carrie CROZIER in her rôle as President of the Women's Orchestra.

In the same paper Thursday 4 April 1907, there's a letter from her about the way orphaned children are (not) looked after.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 09-08-11, 17:49.

Comment

Camperdown Chronicle (Vic.) of Saturday 15 December 1883 has a reference to a forthcoming supplement to include, amongst other stories by other writers, "Three Christmas Days" by Carrie CROZIER.

And a poem in Queanbeyan Age (NSW) of Tuesday 15 May 1883.

No way of knowing whether any of these is yours, of course!

Christine

Comment

Just spotted this announcement in The Argus (Melbourne, Vic) Wednesday 20 September 1882

Marriage.
                CROZIER—MEDLAND. —On the 21st ult., at Ballarat, by the
                Rev. Wm. Henderson, J. Crozier, S A , principal of the Maryborough Grammar School, to Emily Caro- line Jessie Medland, eldest daughter of H A Med- land, Esq , Maryborough
                Christine

Comment

His occupation was journalist.

The articles you have found by Carrie Crozier is Emily Caroline Jessie Crozier nee Medland.

Thank you for looking.

Comment

i would assume john charles crozier was his name going from the trove snippets. but if not, i would go with the parents details from the marriage. i should also think adelaide's birth place would be on the marriage and death certs. unless they dont do that for NSW?

i have a relative called caroline on her sons marriage, her actual name was anne marie armandine caroline!! crozier sounds french to me, so i wouldnt be surprised if thats where the name troubles lie.

Comment

Her marriage certificate says she was born in Christchurch NZ....and her death certificate says Wellington NSW.

But there is no birth for Adelaide Crozier in either NZ or NSW.

Comment

There is a Wellington in New Zealand though isn't there? Perhaps they got muddled up and means Wellington NZ rather than Wellington NSW? Not sure if there is a Wellington in New South Wales?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

you cant search for soundex on the new zealand database, so id get creative with how to spell the name.

Comment

My OH has Croziers in his family Flashie. Do any of yours originate from England?
                            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I recognised the name "CROZIER" from Bill Crozier at the BFN/BFBS (Germany) end of Two-Way Family Favourites. (If nothing else, that dates me very firmly, I'd say!).

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                I recognised the name "CROZIER" from Bill Crozier at the BFN/BFBS (Germany) end of Two-Way Family Favourites. (If nothing else, that dates me very firmly, I'd say!).

Christine
                                Oh, I used to LOVE that programme I'll join you age group club!!
                                Margaret

Comment

There's a tree on ancestry with Adelaide in it and they claim she was born in Dunedin NZ

Adelaide Marie Madeline Crozier
                                  Birth 1880 in Dunedin New Zealand
                                  Death 27 Nov 1959 in Padstow

It's owned by rosieglen1 - is that your friend?

Margaret

Comment

i hate you cant do soundex, and cant wildcard the search for NZ. i also think she either was not registered, or she has a horrible mistranscription. i also hate you cants search on forenames.

Comment

Yes Margaret that is my friends tree.

Adelaide has been a brick wall for her for a while which is why I was trying to lend a hand......but I haven;t managed to get any further either.

I have been playing with NZ BMD today and not come up with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                        i hate you cant do soundex, and cant wildcard the search for NZ. i also think she either was not registered, or she has a horrible mistranscription. i also hate you cants search on forenames.
                                        I thought you'd be interested...
                                        I contacted NZ BMD about the search options (lack of) and received a helpful and informative reply. I asked if I might quote it, and they returned with a tidied up version for me to use:
                                        One reason that we do not have Soundex searches etc currently is the we know there are errors in the data, which is displayed in the search results on the website.
                                        When our registers were scanned it involved 8 million records, of which part of the record was manually keyed into our database. The project worked to a specified error rate, which due to the volumes involved, could result in as many as 60.000 errors.
                                        Our hope was, those searching on the website will advise us of keying/transcription errors they discover, which we can then investigate and will correct if appropriate. The folio number from the BDM microfiche, which are available in some libraries, is the link that we often need to be able to identify a particular record if it has been transcribed incorrectly.
                                        It may not get us the Soundex or wildcards, but at least we can understand the rationale.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X