Key Street, Hoxton, London c 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Street, Hoxton, London c 1888

I'd guess Key Street disappeared in the slum clearance but I cannot find anything else on it despite having a good look at some old maps. Does anyone know its location?

http://www.casebook.org/press_reports/daily_telegraph/dt880906.html?printer=true

The Daily Telegraph
    THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 1888
    Page 3
    POLICE INTELLIGENCE
    WORSHIP-STREET - A Disciple of "Buck's-row." - Henry Hummerston, 32, labourer, of Key-street, Hoxton, was charged, on remand from the previous day, with having assaulted and attempted to murder Eliza Smith. <snip: detail of charges and case outcome>

The Eliza Smith mentioned is my great, great grandmother born in the late 1860's with my great grandfather, Alfie Smith born in the Shoreditch workhouse in the late 1880's, father unknown.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful, I am new to this.
    The London connection to my family is a bit of a mystery as Alfie was sent to Wales as a young boy, under
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-08-11, 13:32. Reason: avoidance of infringement risk

a bit of a cloud and it was never spoken much about again.
    Apparently her family came to London from the Northampton area to work in the shoe trade.

Comment

there is a Key Street in Bethnal Green in 1891 ?

Comment

There is a Bucks Row in Whitechapel ?

Comment

Where is the Key Street in Bethnal Green in 1891?

Comment

Welcome to FTF by the way,

What exactly it is you want to know? Are you looking to create a family tree and need help searching for people?
            Margaret

Comment

Here's Worship Street http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wors...43.022461&z=16

which was probably Hoxton in 1888 rather than Hackney as it is now.
              Margaret

Comment

Yes i'm looking to form a family tree on that strand of the family. Eliza died in 1927 in the Shoreditch work house. Her son moved to Wales and I am familar with the Welsh strand.
                Eliza died unmarried, the father of my great grandad Alfie is not known. Her last known address was Hobbs Court, Shoreditch and she was living with a man called Robert Bryant at the time.
                I don't think she had any other children, but I would like to know more about her family.
                She seemed to have always lived Hoxton Street area.
                I think Alfie was born in 1879 in the Shoreditch Workhouse and his mother was born in 1859.
                Apparently in 1861 Eliza wa at 12 Elizabeth Place Shoreditch, in 1871 at 2 Axe Service Shoreditch, 1888 Key Street Hoxton, 1888 41 Huntington Street, 1927 30 Hobbs Court. She was also reported to be in prison in 1888 and in the workhouse in 1889.
                I would also like to know where Key Street is

Comment

I think Eliza had brothers and sisters who prob had kids themselves so I am hoping I can find out that strand of the Smith family

Comment

Eliza's parents were John Smith born 1819 in Northampton, Sarah Smith(Pateman) born 1823 in Luton.
                    Her siblings were Charles Smith born 1840 in Luton, John Smith born 1846 in Finsbury, Mary Smith born 1846 in Finsbury and Benjamin Smith born 1849 in Shoreditch.
                    Eliza was born in 1859 in Shoreditch.
                    I have no records of any of Eliza's siblings children whatsover and that is what I would like to discover, as well of the location of Key Street in Hoxton

Comment

You need to get Eliza's birth certificate to see who her parents were but I cannot see a birth for her in Shoreditch, plenty in Bethnal Green and surrounds though.

Here's the family in 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=210067

I'm off to bed at the moment but you need to search for marriages of Eliza's siblings to find any descendants.

Margaret

Comment

Hey Margaret, thanks for that, unfortunately that link is blocked however.
                        Where would I look for these marriages? I am new to this, the information I have so far has been passed down verbally from my father

Regards Marc

Comment

I paid my pieces of silver to access the site, that is def the family, John Smith is her father with Sarah(Pateman) her mother.

Comment

If you are now with ancestry you find births, deaths and marriages by selecting search on the tab from the home page then put in the details you know, you get results that show census and other records but to narrow it down click in the left panel on 'births, deaths or marriages and you then see a list of possibles.

The problem here is of course the name Smith is so popular that it will be hard to distinguish which one is your ancestor/relative from others.

I would start by getting certificates for the people closest to you and then progress backwards. So get hold of your parents birth, marriage and death certificates then from that grandparents and so on. Whilst you can find and trace just by looking at the online records you cannot be sure until you get certificates to prove things.

I'm off out just now but will have a little look for your names later on today.

Regards,
                            Margaret

Comment

Here's Eliza with parents in 1871 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=12009081

Comment

and 1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5519557

Comment

Regarding Key Street it might be in the Victorian A-Z (big book of maps of London). I know there are copies at the London Metropolitan Archives.
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This could be the brother Benjamin in 1911
                                    SMITH, Benjamin Head Married 38 years M 60 1851 Boots Repairer Shoredith London
                                    SMITH, Sarah Ann Wife Married 38 years F 59 1852 Shoredith London
                                    DOUGLAS, Marion Sisiter In Law Single F 52 1859 Machinist Silk Hats And Caps Ladys Bethnal Green London
                                    RG14 PN1378 RG78 PN48 RD16 SD3 ED15 SN165

Address:
                                    13 Brownlow Road County: London

They state they had no children.
                                    Margaret

Comment

This could be Charles b1840 in 1881
                                      SMITH, Caroline Lodger Married F 31 1850 Servant Wolford Hertfordshire
                                      SMITH, Charles Lodger Married M 40 1841 Servant (Dom) Luton
                                      RG number: RG11 Piece: 713 Folio: 25 Page: 13

Registration District: Greenwich Sub District: St Paul Deptford

Civil Parish: St Paul Deptford Address: 1 2 3 C Gutter Building, L H, St Paul Deptford County: Kent

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                        Regarding Key Street it might be in the Victorian A-Z (big book of maps of London). I know there are copies at the London Metropolitan Archives.
                                        Is that available online? Or do I have to go there? I'm in London at the moment so that wouldn't be an issue, are there opening hours and is there an address?

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                                        X