Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestor missing in three censuses!

Dear all,

I have an ancestor (well, the brother of my Great Great Great Grandmother). His name was Job Bradley and he was born to Matthew and Hannah Bradley in Huddersfield in March 1799 and was baptised into the Wesleyan faith by them a few days later. The family then moved to Almondbury near Holmfirth and had another three kids; Rachel (1801), Absolom (1804) and Robert (1805).

Now, Rachel is my ancestor so that's all fine, Absolom appears to die in 1840, and Robert...well...there's just too many of them!

But Job is the problem. I think I have him in 1841 being a boarder and a 'fancy weaver' aged 40 in Lockwood, Huddersfield. But I can't find him in 1851. Or 1861. Or 1871. Yet he appears to not die 'til 1879 (Huddersfield aged 83).

So, where is the tricky so-and-so? Any suggestions gratefully received...!

Many people in those days thought the census was the invention of the devil and would do anything not to be part of it. I have read
    somewhere that about 15 percent of people did not get on any census. Remember a Middlesex page once (can't remember which year)
    where the census taker was told that a particular family were seen fleeing down the street on the afternoon that he was supposed to arrive.
    Sounded rather funny at the time.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Grumpy,

Thanks for that. I must say though, that I've not really seen much evidence of this in the past! Can't be more than 1% of my ancestors who escape being censused!

Comment

hello Stephen, have you discounted this one in 1861?

the image states he is a widower and a woolen weaver.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Stephen,
          None of my ancestors missed - guess they were the stay at home types, however
          Lots of people missed for one reason or another, you probably find the odd census taker
          Who was getting a bit tired of legging it and missed a few.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Can't see a marriage for Job, and he looks to be single in 1841. If my ancestors are anything to go by it was usually the single ones that missed the census. They were probably lodging with someone who didn't really even know their correct name let alone when and where they were born.

Very frustrating though! Have you got his death certificate? That might help to pin him down in 1871 at least.

Comment

DarkSecretz, thanks for the link but unfortunately I'm only GR subscribed this year, so can't see the record! Haven't had any viable hits for Job Bradley on GR in any census in 1851/61/71...

Not got a death cert Marmaduke - financial restraints!

Comment

Stephen does the ref help at all? can you search GR's records with it?

1861: Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 3266; Folio: 79; Page: 16; GSU roll: 543105.

he is under J. Bradley b. 1789 Wooldale, Yorks.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There's this marriage which looks likely
                  March 1849
                  BRADLEY Job Huddersfield vol 22 page 179
                  4 marriages per page in those days so 4 possible brides:
                  Sarah DYSON
                  Nancy GODDARD
                  Sarah KINDER
                  Betty ROLINSON

Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

DarkSecretz, I've tried a search for J Bradley in the 1861, but there's no luck on GR. I also can't search by reference number on there. The date of birth does seem *very* early, though. Wooldale also slightly surprising, but it is within a couple of miles of where I had expected...

Comment

I never thought to check the marriages before (as before this week I thought he must have died young) but I've put each of the girls' names into the 1851 census and there we have a Betty Bradley aged 28...married to a cloth weaver "Joab Bradley" at Almondbury. Unfortunately, (damnation!), it appears to give his age as 24 (it's a little indistinct) and is thus not of much use. A real shame, as I thought I had it there!

Comment

The marriage of Job Bradley to Betty Rollison gives his fathers name as Jonas Bradley, clothier.

Comment

Sue, thanks for checking that out (Free Parish Records site?) I think the Job that married Betty (they appear together in the 1851 census) is definitely a younger Job than mine...

Comment

I have some people missing off the census because they were fishermen and presumably out on a boat on census night - though my gt grandfather is enumerated in 1871 both ON a boat off Great Yarmouth AND in his home in Limpenhoe with his wife, sons and mother!

I've also got a gt x 3 grandfather who was living in Chelmsford from at least 1805 when he married there, to 1861 when he died, but refuses to appear on the 1841 census anywhere (though to balance it I found a 10 year old with the same surname, which is relatively unusual in 1841 who then disappears altogether!)

Ex has 3 x gt grandfather who appears on baptism, marriage and baptisms of his children, insurance records - but resolutely is NOT with his wife or anyone else in 2 censuses and then doesn't appear to have died or been buried.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                            X