Canonbie, Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonbie, Scotland

Does anyone have any information about Hollows near Canonbie in the borders of Scotland. My great great grandfather, George Scott was a blacksmith there from 1826 until his death in the 1870's and was succeeded by his son, Robert, until his death in 1900. I wondered if the blacksmith's house and forge buildings might still be there. Any help anyone can give, and/or any photographs which may be available, will be very much appreciated.

Hi

A great site for historical buildings and info can be found at http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/

If you enter the placename in the searchbox there are a couple of pages of results. Maybe nothing for the place you want but worth looking at for local building history if nothing else.

If I can find the link there is another site I used to use regularly detailing and describing buildings (and info regarding their listed status if applicable).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

There is a website called Scotlands places and if you search for Canonbie it will take you to 2 sections, the second one being - Canonbie, an inhabited place in the parish of Canonbie - you will get some photos etc - church, station, aerial, mill etc. Also reference to the site Glen mentioned, which is a very good site.
      Good luck.

herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        There is a website called Scotlands places and if you search for Canonbie it will take you to 2 sections, the second one being - Canonbie, an inhabited place in the parish of Canonbie - you will get some photos etc - church, station, aerial, mill etc. Also reference to the site Glen mentioned, which is a very good site.
        Good luck.

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/

That one seems to be an updated but less comprehensive version of the site i'm still (unsuccessfully) looking for!!!

Just did a quick search for Coldstream and found the architectural details for a building, it's the thing that firsr attracted me to the other site...

This is a (mostly) 19th century irregular-plan, three-storeyed rubble-built warehouse block, with piended slate roofs, and two separate bays of loading doors in its NE side. It appeared to be disused on the date of visit.
        Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 31 October 1997

Haha, and just found an aerial photo of Coldstream Railway Station, which was in nearby Cornhill on Tweed......ENGLAND!! Sorry, going off topic there but I always find the Sottish Railway Station in England amusing.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

i found in a transcript from a book by a james scott, merchant , of claygate canonbie mention from 1813-1831 that residing at the hollows was a george scott who was a blacksmith. I was in terested myself because i have a james micintosh who married a mary bell , and she was down as living there also, in the hollows. i also have found a john mcintosh , who i wonder is connected to mine, marrying margaret scott at the hollows. john was born in 1810, and mary scott born around 1802. Is she connected to your scotts do you think??

Comment

Working...
          X