Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry question

Morning all

I'm creating some new spreadsheets for a one name study, the current batch being the GRO & local bmd refs. I have results from freebmd and UKBMD for around 160 births from 1837 to the mid 1940's (plus a few later bits from the ukbmd sites) but it's the post 1940 stuff I want to find and add next.

How easy is it to pull up all the GRO refs via Ancestry nowadays? It's been a while since I had the sub and things have changed so I haven't seen a search or results screen in ages!!! Would it be fairly easy to list them and copy into Word for example so they can be viewed and used while offline?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I think you could list the name, quarter and year and registration district from the search results page but to put the GRO refs you would have to click on each entry - only one result would show at a time. Is this what you mean?
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie.

Shame it's not like freebmd where you can display the details all at one go for a quick c&p for later use.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

if you do a search say on John Tucker b.1841 london you see this: you then have to click on each entry to get the refs

Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Glen - as an aside, in case you haven't seen it already: once you have your results displayed on FreeBMD, you can click on the "download" button near the top of the screen. This alows you to open or save the results as formatted text, which you can then open in Excel for example. I find this easier than copying/pasting from the web page itself, as it puts everything in neat columns without all the intervening headers etc - great for constructing your own database!

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
            Glen - as an aside, in case you haven't seen it already: once you have your results displayed on FreeBMD, you can click on the "download" button near the top of the screen. This alows you to open or save the results as formatted text, which you can then open in Excel for example. I find this easier than copying/pasting from the web page itself, as it puts everything in neat columns without all the intervening headers etc - great for constructing your own database!

Richard
            Excellent tip Richard, I now have net access at home and avoid download issues at the library so the details are now transferred and being pasted into Excel along with info about certs I hold and local bmd refs if available.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
            X