Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone interpret this occupation?

mgoccupation.jpg
    It looks like Grocer with something on the end! It's from the 1891 census and on the 1901 census it shows her as a retired laundress. In 1861 she was a housekeeper and no occupation was shown in 1871 or 1881.
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

I find comparing letters in known words on the same census can help decipher unknown words - if you can post an image showing more of the census page it might help.

Comment

Just had a look at http://www.census1891.com/occupations-g.htm

Could it be Gracewife? (midwife)

Comment

Oh, I think you've got it, HeirHound. :D The census also shows a one year old "nurseling" living with her. Thank you!
        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Has the enumerator put a number in the RH column? this might help to identify the occupation although I think it says Grocerer myself.

I've never seen the word Gracewife used on any census - midwife would be the general term used.

OC

Comment

Oh, haha, there you go, turns out I don't know EVERYTHING, lol (but I still think it looks like Grocer/er, myself).

OC

Comment

If only the enumerators had had to write in block capitals - still I don't expect they were concerned about people having to read it 120 years later! :o

Comment

There's a cross in the column that says neither employer or employed. It was a farming community and I reckon she was just the local woman who helped deliver babies and nurse them.

Comment

That would make sense - especially with the census showing a nurseling in the household.

Comment

Working...
                  X