Marriage before 1837... help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage before 1837... help needed please

I have a death cert, for William Angliss in Australia that states his father was William Angliss and his mother Mary Ann FREEMAN. William Junior was born in 1834 in London, his brother and sister were born in 1837 and 1841 also in London and says that parents were William Angliss and Mary Ann EVANS.

Wondered if anyone could find any info using either of these mothers maiden names to find a marriage?

Thanks

Linda

Hi Linda,
    were his siblings names Henry & Mary?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If you have ancestry Linda this is the link for the 1841 census:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1
      Julie

Comment

do you have any birth certs for the children Linda? I have found a bapt for Henry, but nothing as yet for William.
        Julie

Comment

hmmn,

it states on the 1841 that Mary wasnt born in county.
          Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

No I haven't got William as before 1837 but I have got Henry's birth certificate and Mary Ann, both say Father William Angliss mother Mary Ann Evans.

As you found they are on 1841. On 1851 I have found William and Henry in Elder Road Childrens home but no sign of the rest of the family. then on 1861 the rest of the family turn up with Mary Ann living with my GGGGrandad George Glasspool with Mary Ann Junior born 1840 using his name. although when she married she married as Mary Ann Angliss.

I don't believe that George Glasspool and Mary Ann ever married because I have his will dated 1877 and he left all his money and a house to spinster!! Mary Ann Angliss and on the census after that she is living in the house as Mary Ann Glasspool.. Very complicated.

Mary was born in Three Mile Cross, a village near Reading, Berkshire

Linda
            Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 06-08-11, 21:35.

Comment

have you found the parents on any later census? do you know where mary (the mum) was born
              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Yes it was Mary the Mum who was born in Three Mile Cross.

I have found them all on other census's. William and Henry became tailors and moved to Kent and then William and all his family moved to Australia. Henry stayed in Hastings and died in 1898 of peritonitus. William's son, another William became the meat magnate Sir William Angliss and was, at one time, the richest man in Australia.

William died in Australia in 1914 aged 80 he fell under a train while trying to board it. That is the death cert that says his mother was Mary Ann Freeman

Linda

Comment

right, I understand now I think, :smilee: I cant find them at all in any census, not much help am I ? who was the informant on Williams death? one of his children? they might not have known what his mothers surname was and had a guess! I would've thought though that as she was born in Berkshire that she would have married there
                  Julie

Comment

It's so annoying, and highly inconsiderate of him, to be born before 1837 so no birth certificate.

I thought that perhaps his children didn't know the correct surname of Mary Ann.

I have also looked for the baptism of William 1834ish I can't find that either. I was more concentrating for a marriage in London as William was born in London as were all of the children.

Thanks for looking

Linda

Thanks for looking

Linda

Comment

its highly likely that whoever said grandma was mary anne freedman got it mixed up. i find on death certs, the english dont usually know their grandparents names, but are good with age at death, socts and irish have no idea how old they are, but they know their family tree!

i would go with mary anne evans. if you know she later married mr glasspool, you could get her fathers name from the cert?

Comment

Working...
                      X