Missing marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing marriage

I have found an entry on the Family Search website for a marriage on 14 Sep 1857 in Kennington Surrey, between Jane Martha Luckhurst and William Stone. Can't find any trace of this marriage on FreeBMD or Ancestry. Have Jane Martha with her family in 1861, (husband at sea) with 3 year old daughter, but having trouble finding any of the Stone family after this

Can anyone help.

thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi Linda can you give any more information. I am struggling to find the family in 1861

Sandra

Comment

Hi Sandra,

This is Jane Martha with her parents in 1861 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6364257

Class: RG9; Piece: 362; Folio: 6; Page: 16

Jane Martha Stone (Nee Luckhurst), born 1837 in Lambeth. (For some unknown reason she is down as Jane S Stone, sorry didn't give more info earlier)

Linda
      Linda

Comment

There is a marriage of a Jane Martha Stone to Thomas Hayley 13 May 1865(Herne Hill Southwark)...... but Jane is recorded as a spinster and her father is given as William Stone???

Sandra

Comment

Hi Linda
          There are four baptisms on the same day Feb 4th 1870 parents William & Jane, 5 Easter Cottages, father sailor.
          Sarah Jane, Amelia Harriet,Mary Ann & Alice Bard/Bird & a William baptised 5th Feb 1872
          parents William & Jane Martha 2 Oxford? Terrace Ste--- Lane, father helper at the gas works?

Moggie

Comment

Moggie, that looks really interesting, as I have found possible children for them with the names Sarah, Amelia, Alice and William! Can you give me the links for those baptisms please.

Linda

It's ok - I found them , and they look really good!
            Last edited by ozgirl; 06-08-11, 20:35.
            Linda

Comment

Really looking good now - just found Mary Ann Stone aged 7 in 1871 with her Luckhurst grandparents. Definitely on the right track now - but why can't I find thei marriage in the registers.

Linda
              Linda

Comment

I have checked the marriage on the familysearch website and the film number goes to a extraction program. I have checked the gro images for the 3rd quarter 1857 and cannot find the entries. So you need to see the parish register image. I wonder if the other marriages on the same parish register page are indexed ?
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Mike - presumably it would be a valid marriage then, not something made up!

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

I think many people are not generally aware of just how many errors and omissions there are on the GRO indexes.

Someone - I forget who - calculated that there are over 2 millions errors and omissions.

I personally have six certificates which do not appear in the GRO indexes, or if they do they are so badly mangled as to be unfindable. I got them from local register offices, using their indexes.

Another reason (but a very unusual one) is that the marriage register for that church has not yet been completed and therefore not returned to the LOCAL register office, although that shouldn't affect the GRO.

OC

Comment

On the 13 Sep 1857 in the same marriage register there is a marriage between Emma Martin & Philip Masters. That is on 1d 352 and when you search for that page you only get two names . When you search for 1d 353 you get four names and from family search you get a date of the 16 and 17 Sep for those marriages. So it looks as though they got missed !!!!!!
                      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                      X