Christopher Garbutt, wife and children Middx, London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christopher Garbutt, wife and children Middx, London

Hi, this is my first ever post so please bear with me.... my gt grandmother Mary Ann Brearley (nee Garbutt) born 1831 Middlesex, London has Christopher Garbutt as father on marriage certificate (1850), Halifax, Yorkshire.
    I have found one Christopher Garbutt(1799) on the 1851 census with his son William age 20, living in Halifax. 1851 census states Christopher born in Kirby Moorside, North Yorkshire and William born in Middlesex, St Giles.
    I also have a marriage for a Christopher Garbutt to Sarah Pennyfold 4th April 1825, St Marylebone, Middx, both 'of this parish'

I also have a James Garbutt(1826) born St Ann, Middx with Christopher Garbutt as his father on marriage certificate, which took place in Halifax, Yorkshire.

All three males are listed as cordwainers/bootmakers. I think these are all from the same family.

My problem is I can find nothing about Sarah prior to or after her marriage to Christopher. Nor can I find out anything about Christopher prior to marriage or after 1851 - none of the family seem to appear on 1841 census. Need help in finding B/D for Sarah and Christopher (always presuming Sarah is the right spouse for Christopher!)
    I have been trying to sort this out for a long long time so any help would be very much appreciated
    Mandy

HI,
    Welcome to FTF.

I take it this is your 1851 census for Christopher http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=10751903 and it shows he's a widower so Sarah has died.

Now to see if I can find anything on the 1841.

Margaret

Comment

Can't see anything just yet but wonder whether you have trawled the pages for the 1841 on the address they are at in 1851.

Have you got the birth cert for William to see where exactly he was born and you could then trawl the pages for that address in 1841. Might also give better clue as to where Sarah might have died.

Margaret

Comment

This looks like it might be Christophers birth

CHRISTOPHER GARBUTT
        Pedigree Male
        Birth: 05 JAN 1799
        Christening: 13 JAN 1799 Kirkby Moorside, Yorkshire, England
        Father: WILLIAM GARBUTT
        Mother: ANN WAWNE
        Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The form lists the submitter's name and address and may include source information. The address may be outdated. Details vary. To find the form, you must know the batch and sheet number.

Source Information:
        Batch Number: 7808136
        Sheet: 64
        Source Call No.: 1126257 Type: Film

Comment

Hi Margaret, thanks for the speedy response - I can't find a record for any of Christophers childrens births, nor a death for Sarah. I think the birth for Christopher is the correct one, but other than info on familysearch I have no more information
          Mandy

Comment

Hello Mandy - I've been searching for them too - and did find a Sarah Garbutt who died in Q2 of 1838 in Leeds

I also found a William Garbutt in the Pickering Union Workhouse aged 11 in the 1841 census, however as there are a few people of that name in the census we have no way of knowing if he belonged to your family.

Looking for a birth of Sarah Pennyfold - I did wonder if you had considered that it could also be registered as Penfold?

Comment

I think Pennyfold is a name that is easily mis-transcribed and also varied in spelling. I don't get many showing on ancestry searches on the surname only which suggests it's transcribed as something else. I not Sarah made her mark on the marriage register so she would not know how it was spelt.
              Margaret

Comment

On FMP across all the censuses there are only 3 results all of them for different people. The earliest is 1871 for Ellen Pennyfold b1847 so where is that person in earlier/subsequent censuses?
                I fear you have a mammoth task in hand.

I'll have a little look for some births and see what if anything I can find.
                Margaret

Comment

I have just found a death for Sarah Garbutt(1840) buried 1842 age 2 in St Giles, Camberwell, Surrey - maybe a child of Christopher and Sarah?

1841 census Sarah Garbutt age 55, Stepney, Middlesex - maybe a bit old but will look it up
                  both on family search

Sarah Ann Pennyfold, born 18th may 1800 in Sittingbourne , Kent, f John, m Frances, bit of a wild guess - Mary Ann Garbutt had a daughter out of wedlock named Sarah Ann so could be a connection? Not sure about the distances between Middlesex and other places.
                  Thanks
                  Mandy

Comment

Sittingbourne to Middlesex bit a hike but often families moved en bloc into Middlesex as that was where most of the work arose. Women would go to be servants and maybe unmarried mothers could 'hide' there.
                    Camberwell not too far just over a bridge so that's a good possibility
                    Margaret

Comment

Thanks for explaining differences - makes places easier for me to work out! I am just on with Sarah died age 2, trying to find her in 1841 census
                      Mandy

Comment

It's a real mystery as very few Garbutts come up outside of Yorkshire. Checked passenger lists leaving and none look likely.

Margaret

Comment

I am still no wiser! just a little more fuddled, I wonder their children are not found anywhere regarding their births? or why not on 1841 census? Other than Parish records could they be 'registered' somewhere else?
                          Mandy

Comment

They could be non conformist have a look here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/...2&o_sch=Search and here http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks Margaret, will do that now - fingers crossed lol
                              Mandy

Comment

They Don't appear to be here either! I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do but.....I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!! lol

Comment

there are many areas of london missing in the 1841 census, including st george hanover square, and other areas around westminster.
                                  have you looked for the burials on the NBI and ancestry?

Comment

There are also many of the parish records not yet online and I couldn't see St Ann's for instance so unless you can get to London Metropolitan Archives to have a look through yourself you might have to wait until they are all on ancestry.
                                    Margaret

Comment

There is very little chance of me getting to London so I will just have to wait until the London parish records are updated on Ancestry.....I really appreciate all your help today Margaret, thanks ever so much
                                      Mandy

Comment

Hi, sorry I haven't acknowledged you, I was so intent on 'Garbutts' yesterday....I will look at info you have sent and see what I come up with. yes I had thought about Penfold being used instead of Pennyfold, when I first saw this name I thought mmm unusual surname ha there are millions of them, just not the ones I want lol, Thanks
                                        Mandy

Comment

Working...
                                        X