CANADA: Letter of Attestation/Death Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANADA: Letter of Attestation/Death Certificate

I applied to the authorities at "Etat de Civil" for a Death Certificate. It would appear that all that is available is a Letter of Attestation.
    It is not clear to me exactly what that would contain and I cannot get a direct answer from the authority. It will obviously confirm an entry
    in the Register and a death date but they do not seem to be able to tell me what else I can expect. I have to complete a form, write a letter
    supply Birth Certificate etc., and pay a fee to confirm identities. It seems a lot to do just to have a date confirmed, if that is all there is.
    Rather confusing.

Anybody out there know about this please?

dreen22

Just found this page:
    An attestation is a civil status document in the form of a letter that confirms the presence or absence in the Québec register of civil status of an act of birth, marriage, civil union or death.

which has this significant item:
    Important

An attestation should not be confused with a certificate or copy of an act. A letter attesting to the presence or absence of an act in the register of civil status in no way replaces a certificate or copy of an act in either content or usefulness. You should check with the organization demanding a document to learn which type of document it wants.
    EDIT: This is a page for Quebec. The rules may vary from province to province.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This looks as if it may be useful to you:

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Good Morning Christine,
        thank-you for replies.

Yes, I have for several days been working with the Etat Civil site. I have also had emails from them. However, it is still not entirely clear to me
        what exactly is included on the Attestation. To get the Attestation they require several documents from you and it seems an awful lot just to have confirmation
        of a date. I shall have to trawl the site again and try to figure out why I cannot get a straightforward Death Certificate.

I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf ... thank-you.

dreen22

Comment

The link in post #4 is to a page which tells you exactly what info you get on a certificate or on a copy of an "act" (which I presume to be an uncertified copy of the information you'd get in a cert, but uncertified).

Christine

Comment

Working...
          X