Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in braintree thomas saville

Hello
    I am looking for the death or burial of Thomas Saville/Savil I don't have Birth or Baptism records for him so estimated birth is about 1767 he married Mary Willis on the 22nd of July 1800 at St Mary Bocking Essex England they had two daughters that I know about Ann and Rebecca born 10th of Febuary 1801 baptism 20th of March 1801 in the parish of Halstead County of Essex England
    according to a newspaper article I have Thomas was alive in 1837 aged 70 years old I believe he was living at Braintree Bocking Essex England at this time I would greatly appreciate any help
    ossiegirl
    Last edited by ossiegirl; 06-08-11, 09:26. Reason: spelling

FreeBMD has
    Thomas Savill, died 2nd qtr 1838, Braintree, Vol 12, Page 14

Familysearch has the burial of
    Thomas Savill, 22 Apr 1838, St. Mary, Bocking, Essex, England - no age on the index's record.

Comment

Thank you Photofamily for your reply and help with information you have provided it sounds like this could be the Thomas Saville I am researching do you know how to take this one step further and find his parents names I don't know much about English research

Comment

Hi Ossiegirl
        The NBI gives the same details as Familysearch with his age given as 71which fits with the info you already have.Can you give us any more details about the newspaper article.
        Moggie

Comment

I had a look on Familysearch and saw two Thomas' born in Essex that may fit.
          16/2/1772 Thomas Savill born to Thomas/Eliabeth and baptised @ Hadstock in Essex and
          Thomas Savil 20/1/1765 at Independant, Hatfield heath, Essex to John/Mary Savil

Those dates are of course for the baptisms - and he needn't necesarrily have come from Essex anyway.
          What a pity neither of the mother's are Rebecca or Ann as that may have given us a clue.

Comment

Hadstock and Hatfield Heath are not very close to Bocking. Don't forget very few Essex baptisms are on Family Search as they weren't allowed access to the registers by the local diocese. Essex record office is putting registers online, free to search at present, its going to be pay to view later this year. I had a quick look at Bocking St Mary's register around 1767 and couldn't see any Savil(le) events, but a more detailed search of this and surrounding parishes would be worth a try.
            here's the link to Essex Records Office. http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/displayParishContents.asp
            I
            f the list of registers shows "Digital Images" under Format then you can view them online, if not then clicking View will just give the reference details for viewing at the Records Office.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Like Judith I have also looked at Bocking baptisms a couple of years either side of 1767 & can't see any Savilles. If you go to the main search box & type in Savill without the E & Bocking you should get 167 results. Have a trawl through these to see what you can find.Looks like your Thomas left a will.
              Will of Thomas Savill of Bocking Woolcomber 17th October 1838.

Moggie

Comment

Thank you to Maudarby, Val and George and Judithm

Maudarby there not much to tell about the newspaper article only to say that Thomas was robbed he is described as a 70 year old man.
                thank's again I appreciate your assistance
                ossiegirl
                Last edited by ossiegirl; 06-08-11, 08:22.

Comment

any help finding out more about Thomas will would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Maudarby -
                    What's NBI?

Ossiegirl -
                    Do you know how to retrieve the will? The burial record probably won't have much, but sometimes you get lucky. GRO record will tell you only age, address, informant, occupation

Comment

the death cert may help with with the family, you never know who the informant will be.
                      the NBI is the national burial index. there are 3 versions i think, findmypast has the latest version among its burial records.
                      you have to apply to the probate office for a will.
                      try looking on the national archives site for a will, if it is there, you can download it for 3.50 pounds.

Comment

Are there other NBI databases? I assume an FMP subscription is required to use that one?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          i think, findmypast has the latest version among its burial records.
                          Pretty sure it's not the latest version unfortunately on FMP - found my m-i-l's sister who died young in 1935 on the discs of the 3rd edition - but certainly not on FMP

PhotoFamily - the 3rd edition (a set of CD's) is available from a number of genealogical suppliers - and many FH Societies have purchased it for members to consult

Comment

Wish I'd known about it about 2 wks ago - would have saved me 9.25!

Thanks for the info.

Comment

A big thank you to everyone that has help with my research on Thomas it is very much appreciate I have found out quite a lot of information on Tom already and some new links to follow up on.
                              ossiegirl

Comment

Photofamily
                                I've got the NBI 3rd edition if you need any more look ups send me a PM.

Ossiegirl
                                Thomas Savill's will is not on TNA site so you need to apply to the Essex record Office to get a copy.They may be able to email you a copy, shouldn't cost too much money. It's only going to be helpful if he mentions other family members other than his daughters but worth a try.
                                Moggie

ero.enquiry@essex.gov.uk
                                Last edited by maudarby; 07-08-11, 06:53.

Comment

Moggie
                                  thank's for the e-mail address it might be worth ordering Thomas's will and hopeful it will tell me if his wife Mary was still alive in 1838 he possibly left everything to her
                                  Robyn

Comment

Burials for Mary Saville at Bocking. Two possibilities both dying before Thomas.
                                    21st June 1809 Mary Saville age 40 born c 1769
                                    26th July 1837 Mary Saville age 72 born c 1765
                                    If his wife was the one that died in 1809 it's quite possible that he remarried as his children would have been quite young at the time.

Maudarby

Comment

Hello Maudarby
                                      Thank you again I will think about how I can work out which Mary is mine. unfortunately they both died before Thomas if I can find a child born after 1809 should give me some answers

Comment

the original registers should say whose wife she was.

Comment

Working...
                                        X