Search for Perkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for Perkins

I am looking for Thomas Perkins, b. 1816 in Eckington Derbyshire, who I believe was married to Mary Bowman, b. 1810 in Grimston, Yorkshire and their daughter Mary Anne Perkins, b. 1847 in Schweina, Germany.

Mary Bowman's father is most likely to be George Bowman, a farmer, who lived in the Murton/Grimston/Osbaldwick are east of York. If this is correct then she would have had a Neice called Mary Phillis Bowman who came from Halifax, Yorkshire.

In the 1851 census there is a Thomas Perkins, his wife Mary and daughter Mary A living in Newhall, Cheshire. He is listed as a Gardener and born in c. 1816 in Hamstead Middlesex. His wife is listed as born in c. 1810 in Grimstone, Yorkshire. The daughter is listed as born in Germany in 1847.

In 1861 a Thomas Perkins born c. 1816 in Eckington, Derbyshire is living in Madehurst, Sussex. He is a Farm Bailiff by now. His wife is Mary, born c. 1810 is from Grimston and the daughter Mary A Perkins was born c. 1847 in Schweina, Germany. The house servant is Mary P Bowman who is listed as "Niece".

I have found a marriage between a Thomas Perkins and Mary Bowman (with a Father called George, occupation Farmer) which took place in St Benet Gracechurch, City of London, England. The groom is listed as a Gentleman which may not tie in with being a gardener and farm bailiff.

The thing is that I can find no trace of any of the family in the 1871 census, nor can I find deaths or a marriage with any certainty. The family obviously moved around a fair amount which doesn't help.

Would very much appreciate any help in working this one out.

Alec

Had a look at what you've found and of course it's odd he gives his place of birth as two very different places!
    I would agree that gardener to farm bailiff may be a natural (lucky) progression but to go from gentleman to gardener is conversely very unlucky but of course not impossible.

Have you found the birth reg on the overseas index for Mary born in Germany. - her birth cert might give some clues as to what they were all doing over there.
    Margaret

Comment

No, I had a look on Find My Past but there were no entries for a Perkins in Germany. Going from Gentleman to Gardener would be a bit of an unfortunate step but is not impossible - could have been disowned by father for example, or the family fortune could have been lost or squandered.

Alec

Comment

Working...
      X