search tips for ancestry workhouse registers please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search tips for ancestry workhouse registers please

I hope someone can help with this - I have my g.g grandfather, George Poole dying in Stepney Union workhouse in July 1909. His usual address was 61 Elsa Street, Limehouse. George always lived in the East End, and his family were still nearby. In 1901, after the death of his wife Jane, he is living with his son George. I would like to track when he went in the workhouse, but I'm not making any progress on ancestry. His death record says he died in the Bromley Workhouse, under the Stepney Union. I've been told that as he had a regular address he probably wasn't in the workhouse too long.
    What is the best way to access the workhouse records for this period? I have waded through pages of stuff, some of it doesn't even relate to the heading.

Any tips welcome
    thankyou
    Darannon

Wouldn't it be a hospital admission if he had his own address and in that case not sure if you would get any record.
    Margaret

Comment

I found him I think by going to LMA Poor Law records, choosing Tower Hamlets Borough; Stepney Union; Admission and Discharge registers; Bromley House Admissiion and Discharge Register 1905-1911. This is in alphabetical order so a bit of guess work to find the pages covering names beginning with P
      George Poole born 1846 is at the bottom of image 261. He was admitted 14/10/07 and discharged 17/10/07 then admitted again 18/11/07 and discharged (or more likely died) 21/7/09 The far end of his line on the next image is annotated "Dead"
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

wow Judith, thankyou, that's amazing - that is definitely him, he died 21/7/1909 and his body was 'taken away by friends'. I could find his death record in the registers but I was getting nowhere with his admission record. Seems like he spent quite some time in there before his death. Thanks very much for your help - I have so many ancestors who spent time in the workhouse, I will try out your tip (-:

Darannon

Comment

George also appears in the Bromley House Creed Register1906-1908 which is in date order.He is on images 344-345. It shows address he was admitted from (61 Elson Street both times); his religious creed (CofE); and under Remarks it shows his death took place at 10 pm
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thankyou Judith - that is a collection I've never even looked at - I wasn't expecting to be able to get so many details - I think I will be spending many hours on there (-:

Darannon

Comment

I have found George, his wife Jane, and my great uncle Philip so far - very sad reading - thanks very much for the search tips

Darannon

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                I found him I think by going to LMA Poor Law records, choosing Tower Hamlets Borough; Stepney Union; Admission and Discharge registers; Bromley House Admissiion and Discharge Register 1905-1911. This is in alphabetical order so a bit of guess work to find the pages covering names beginning with P
                George Poole born 1846 is at the bottom of image 261. He was admitted 14/10/07 and discharged 17/10/07 then admitted again 18/11/07 and discharged (or more likely died) 21/7/09 The far end of his line on the next image is annotated "Dead"
                Is this accessible on the internet or do you need to find the hard copies?

Comment

I think they have used ancestry.

Comment

This is the link on Ancestry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1557

Unfortunately the records are not indexed so you need to search through the images manually by selecting the relevant Borough / Poor Law Union / Record type.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thankyou very much Elaine, I have already found the record where my great grandfather was born in 1879 at the Shoreditch workhouse

Comment

Thank you very much Elaine, I have just found the record for the birth of my great granfathe in 1879 and the death of my grear, great, great grandfather in 1886, both in the Shoreditch workhouse

Comment

The London Metropolitan Archive collection of records on Ancestry is great for anyone with London ancestors. Don't forget to check out the post 1837 marriage database as you may find an original copy of the marriage register - saving you £9.25 for a certificate!

In case you haven't found them all, this is a list of what is currently available:
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks again Elaine, I am new to this and am still a novice in navigating around these sites.
                            This leaves me a lot to start working through, good times!
                            Where in Spain are you? I live near Valencia most of the year

Comment

Don't worry about being a novice - we were all in that position at some time or other!
                              If you need any help then just ask - you will find plenty of offers from our membership.

We live in Javea, midway between Valencia and Alicante.
                              Elaine

Comment

Thanks, i've had some great help so far, just wish I was enjoying some Spanissh weather!

Comment

Working...
                                X