Bmd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmd

Im looking for a marriage that may have taken place around 1909 to 1911. I've searched the BMD on Ancestry with no luck and Ive tried all variations of both surnames.

My question is, are the BMD's reliable ? Or do I have to go to the local office where the marriage might have taken place and search there ?

Would you like to post the details and we can see if someone can find it?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Joseph HUTHART b1889 in Keswick, Cumberland.
      Annie MACKERETH b1891 in Kendal, Westmorland.

Their first child was born 1910 in Lancaster, Lancashire.

Many thanks for looking !

Comment

I can't find this marriage either. I can't find one for Joseph Huthart that is satisfactory, which is the worry. Perhaps they didn't marry but just lived as man and wife.

I note that they went on to have several more children.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I don't think they did..here they are in 1911.

Joseph Huthart - Head - 22 - Assistant Warehouseman
          Annie Huthart - Wife - 20
          Constance Huthart - Daughter - 1
          Evelyn Huthart - Daughter - 2 months

Says they have been married 2 years and so far they have 2 kids.

Ooops forgot to mention the address 91 Westham Street, Lancaster.
          Last edited by cpdavis35; 04-08-11, 21:26.
          Craig

Comment

That is my thought too. But did people with several children do that in the early 1900's ?!

They have filled in the 1911 census return as Head & Wife.

Oh well, perhaps I may come across it !

Thank you for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by cpdavis35 View Post
              I don't think they did..here they are in 1911.

Joseph Huthart - Head - 22 - Assistant Warehouseman
              Annie Huthart - Wife - 20
              Constance Huthart - Daughter - 1
              Evelyn Huthart - Daughter - 2 months

Says they have been married 2 years and so far they have 2 kids.

Ooops forgot to mention the address 91 Westham Street, Lancaster.
              Yes, thats them but I cant find the marriage !

Comment

It's always possible that it was missed from the entries that were sent to the General Register Office.

It would be worth searching the parish registers for their area if you can, or perhaps asking the local register office to double check.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Looks as if Joseph remarried in 1919 to Gladys Calam - several more children. I cannot see a suitable death for Annie, after 1916, either as Huthart or Mackereth.

I note that an Annie Mackereth married in 1909 in Kendal, but not to Joseph Huthart.

OC

Comment

it's possible they didn't ..one of my great grandmothers was still married at the time of the 1911 census and she was listed living with a widower...she even had her married name on the census and her two kids that she had with this widower.
                    Craig

Comment

You'll find plenty of examples amongst trees here, of people who didn't get around to marrying at any time you'd expect - even at all!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

A Joseph H Huthart married a Gladys A Calam, Jun qtr 1919 in Pocklington, Yorkshire.
                        That is the closest I can find.
                        Last edited by Vivienne; 04-08-11, 21:48.
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Looks as if Joseph remarried in 1919 to Gladys Calam - several more children. I cannot see a suitable death for Annie, after 1916, either as Huthart or Mackereth.

I note that an Annie Mackereth married in 1909 in Kendal, but not to Joseph Huthart.

OC
                          Thats looks like an interesting avenue to follow ! Thank you.

Comment

I thought maybe she was Gladys Annie & they lied about being married in 1911.

Trust me to do what I'm always saying others do & not reading the thread properly. Trouble is it takes me so long to type that the thread has moved on while I'm at it.

Where did you get the name Mackereth from?
                            Last edited by Vivienne; 04-08-11, 21:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                              Where did you get the name Mackereth from?
                              From the birth cert of their youngest child b1916.

Comment

Vivienne

I also wondered if Gladys and Annie were the same person, but the Annie Mackereth who married in 1909 didn't marry a Calam, lol. Also, she must have ditched her hubby on the way back down the aisle, to give Joseph Huthart a child in 1909.

The name Mackereth is given as mmn on Lancsbmd for Huthart children.

OC

Comment

Oh dear, I think I'd better leave it to others, I'm too slow to keep up with you lot! :o;D

Comment

Dogberry

As you have the birth cert of the youngest child you presumably have some personal knowledge of the family. For instance, did that youngest child, born in 1916, have half siblings to their father's marriage in 1919? If so it might be worth getting the 1919 marriage cert to see what Joseph Huthart gives as his marriage condition in 1919.

OC

Comment

OC

It isn't known if there are any half siblings, and to confuse matters the children of the MACKERETH / HUTHART marriage were put into care whilst all still quite young.

The marriage of 1919 is new to my research but may account (if it is my HUTHART) for the children being placed into care at around that time. No obvious record for the death of Annie HUTHART (MACKERETH) is also a concern.

Comment

In 1916 Joseph OUGHT to have been in the Army, which might explain why the children were put into care, whether their mother died or not.

There are a couple of mentions of a Joseph Huthart during WW1 on TNA, but I have no way of knowing if they are him or not. What was Joseph's occupation?

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X