Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mysterious disappearance - Enoch Kenyon - a real puzzle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious disappearance - Enoch Kenyon - a real puzzle!

Hello everyone - Enoch Kenyon was born in 1841, in Farnworth, Lancashire, the son of James (a greengrocer) and Margaret (Peggy), he was the second son, they had: John, Enoch, Thomas, Mary A, William, James and Peter. By the 1861 census Enoch, now 20 was a coal miner, as was brother Thomas. He married Mary Bailey in the Dec 1/4 of 1862 and they had 2 children William Bailey Kenyon who was born in Farnworth and John Robert who was born in the June 1/4 1865 in Bolton (who died young). By the 1871 census, wife Mary is living with her mother and the 2 children, she is listed as married not widowed, but Enoch has disappeared! There is no death record up to or beyond that time. There was a big colliery disaster in Farnworth in 1877, but he was not listed. So where did he go...???
    Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.
    Many thanks, Rachel

I can see him upto 1861 in the census Rachel, but nothing coming up after on ancestry.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

me neither the only logical one died in 1862 before the last child was born ?? so not likely

Comment

Thank you Julie and Val - a family scandal I wonder!!! Val I think we are both having a soggy, frustrating day!
        Rachel

Comment

Could he have gone abroad? Have you checked passenger lists?
          Margaret

Comment

dont know if this is him ??? scroll down to number 27

Comment

Lots of possibilities! Australian gold could have been a big attraction. Or he could have moved to work in another English (or Scottish) coalfield.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There's an Enoch Kenyon who was a victim of a crime in the Liverpool Mercury, Friday, November 6 1874. He's described of Westleigh (no other information). Which I think means Leigh in Lancashire. Not too far from Bolton - 9 miles.

Edit: Then again, may not be the same one. A later obituary, Manchester Times Saturday, September 11 1886 says 'Susan, wife of Enoch Kenyon, of West Leigh'.
                Last edited by keldon; 04-08-11, 14:58.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Enoch, of Westleigh, died in 1886 and was 77 years old, so not him.

OC

Comment

For the record he was born in 1840:

Baptism: 28 Jun 1840 Market Street Congregational, Farnworth, Lancashire, England
                    Enoch Kenyon - Child of James Kenyon & Margaret (formerly Parkinson)
                    Born: 17 May 1840
                    Abode: Crow Bank
                    Notes: [Born in Dean Parish]
                    Source: Church Registers transcribed by Bolton Genealogy Group

Birth registration same quarter.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth
                      Thank you so much that is good detail.
                      Rachel

Comment

Hello OC - Thanks for trying!
                        Rachel

Comment

Thanks for trying Phil - More Enoch Kenyon's around than you would think, but greatest concentration at this time in Lancashire! Rachel

Comment

Hello Margaret and Uncle John
                            Yes indeed he could have gone to Wales Scotland or the US, lots of Enoch Kenyon's there but very difficult to find the very one and of course Australia!!!
                            Rachel

Comment

Hello again Val - Sadly Enoch Booth looks correct, not my Enoch - but a good suggestion. Thanks for trying.
                              Rachel

Comment

I know it's not much consolation, but mining is mining, and there's any number of things to be dug out of the ground. Tin etc. (Cornwall), potash (near Whitby). iron ore (Lake District, Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire), oil shale (West Lothian) and of course coal (all over the country).
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X