World War One Munitions Factories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War One Munitions Factories

I wonder if anyone could help point me in the right direction?

I am trying to find the locations of the Munitions Factories in Portsmouth during World War 1 - I know there were some, but not where they were situated!

I spent all day yesterday at the local Record Office and Local History Dept. but with no success at all, and the staff were really surprised not to be able to find anything!

All suggestions gratefully received!
    Chris

Originally posted by Bethanys Gran View Post
    I wonder if anyone could help point me in the right direction?

I am trying to find the locations of the Munitions Factories in Portsmouth during World War 1 - I know there were some, but not where they were situated!

I spent all day yesterday at the local Record Office and Local History Dept. but with no success at all, and the staff were really surprised not to be able to find anything!

All suggestions gratefully received!
    Hi - Here are a couple of Pompeii history sites that I visit now and then. The Daly Blog owner could well be worth contacting to point you in the right direction if unable to help you himself.

From the author of 'Portsmouth's World War Two Heroes'
    hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

Have you tried looking in Gosport? Just across the harbour from Portsmouth

We have Priddys Hard and Bedenham. Also try looking at Explosion Museum web site which is in Priddys Hard. Will see if I can find the Web page.

www.Explosion.org.uk is the website
      Lesley.
      Last edited by Punchs mum; 05-08-11, 08:54.

Comment

I too was going to suggest Bedenham.
        I don't know when it was started, but remember people talking about a big explosion there in 1940 or 1950s.

Gwyn

Comment

Hi Chris,
          I spent ages trying to find information on the Gretna Munitions Factory of WW1 (particularly about explosions which occurred there)....there is even a museum there now, but there was no information in the papers of the time, as the Government were afraid of alerting the enemy & the potential for sabotage. I doubt you'll find any records about it.
          ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Very many thanks for all your help. I'll keep digging!
            Chris

Comment

Chris
              Where did you hear of this please?

This site outlines the reasons why the people of Portsmouth wanted the gunpowder moved in 1700s and I'm wondering why they would have later built something on Portsea Island which by 1900s was heavily populated.

Gwyn

Comment

I think much depends on what you actually mean by munitions factories. Many factories were commandeered to make various things during the war, which bore little or no resemblance to their peace time work.

I would think that any records about these factories (from an official point of view) will still be closed. What about trying newspapers of the day though, which might obliquely mention that Joe's raincoat factory or whatever, is now making parts for bombs.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X