Apply for Death Certs or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply for Death Certs or Not

Have brothers being buried same day 6 Sep 1854 in Bermondsey ,is it worth sending for Certs do you think or is it quite likely to have been Cholera or another epidemic?

Thanks

Val

You'll never know unless you get the certs!

I have two brothers buried within 5 days of each other in the early 1900s. DC showed that one died of diphtheria, the other was kicked by a horse.

OC

Comment

must admit I'm more than curious OC this family cannot be found after 1851 ? maybe the certs will give me a clue ? Think I will send for them thanks OC.

Comment

Have you seen the original burial records?
        Sometimes the vicar would write a note in the margin, especially if there were unusual circumstances.

Gwyn

Comment

Hi Gwyn only whats on Ancestry ,nothing mentioned there.

Comment

You've made me curious now Val. Please come back and tell us what they both died of.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I had a family that had about 6 deaths in 3 weeks and decided to send for one of the DC's. Turned out she dies of Typhus so decided they all had. Reading what O C has put has now made me wonder.

Not ordered a cert for ages, so might try another one.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Maybe I should have said they were very young ? but am today ordering the certs anyway as it might just give me a clue as to where the family are after 1851?
                Lin I have not ordered one for ages either cannot afford them so much now, but this has got me thinking.

Comment

I have 2 great great uncles whose deaths are consecutive in the register. They died a day apart - the first of TB the second of heart attack - got the info from the local paper x
                  Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

What a strange coincidence Jayne ?

Comment

i have a father and son on the same page in 1870. i assumed they both died at work....its quite possible, but i only got the father so far, hes the ancestor and died from heart attack at 44.

Comment

got them today both died of Cholera one on the 4th Sep the other on the 5th Sep

Comment

how sad val, but not unexpected in those days.

Comment

Oh how sad Val. Thanks for telling us.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Do you have access to the 19th Century British Library Newspapers site Val? If you put in a start date of 1854 and seach terms Bermondsey cholera there are several items about it.

Comment

thanks Jill have been googling and found a huge article about it, I dont have access to that ?
                                Was hoping the address given would have helped me find the family in 1861 but it does not seem to exist ?

Comment

I was asked to look up two sisters dying on the same day at the local R.O (local papers), the person requesting thinking it may have been a fire or suchlike. It turned out one had been caring for the other for many years. The carer died of pneumonia after a few days of feeling unwell, whilst the sickly sister died a few hours later in her sleep. So you can never be sure.
                                  Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I found 4 deaths all in the same quarter year and area and found it was a Mother and her two children and a Granddaughter ,a member on here found the report in the papers ,they had been in the same house when it burnt down, very upsetting.

Comment

Working...
                                    X