Note to anyone researching families in Nottinghamshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note to anyone researching families in Nottinghamshire

I'm sure you all know about this, but I just thought I'd let you know. I've just ordered "A Grim Almanac of Nottinghamshire", which seems to list, chronologically, the details of various dark & eccentric deeds in the county in the nineteenth century (don't know if it goes past that)......crimes/suicide/apparent witchcraft/just general eccentrics etc....with details of what happened to those involved.

I've ordered a copy in case any of the names crop up in my families (don't know if my ggg grandfather's trial for attempted murder or details of his brother's/stepbrother's trial & transportation are in there)....got it for 3 Euros 60 plus postage, because it's only in an "acceptable state" (corner of cover missing & rubbing to edges), but thought it would be handy. The other copies remaining are considerably more expensive & in much better condition (but if you're in GB, the postage would be much lower)

Good to look out for &, if anyone has any family stories that they'd like me to look at to see if I can confirm them, I'll be only too happy to do so, once it has arrived

That sounds really interesting.

I have a book on crime and punishment in Nottingham and my G Grandfathers brother is in there with a good mug shot.

Some one lent me a book that sounds similar to yours and John Timms was in it. He was murdered and it was all about the trial and his murderers were hanged.

Sounds a good read
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Well, for the price you can't grumble. It has one of those "look inside" features on Amaton & there are some reproductions of the "penny special edition newsheets" they used to issue for a murder. But it's not all crime etc....found an account of a woman's funeral at St Mary's Nottm......she had been a great eccentric & had laid down all kinds of peculiar instructions as to how it should be conducted.

If I can't find my lot in there, Lin, I'll ask you to have a look in yours (though I've got copies of the newspaper articles)

Comment

No Problem, I can always have a look for you.

Let me know the names and I will look.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Oh I will have to sort my names out , minds blank at the mo ;;
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks for the heads up about this Grey I have just ordered one :smilee:
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Lin......if you could have a look sometime to see if any of the dreaded Ashers are listed in your book.

First of all, if there's any mention of a William Asher. There were quite a few of them, but this one disappears after the baptism of his son in 1818 at St Peter's Nottm. Everyone on here has done their best to help me find him without success. We've checked all the usual transportation sources etc, but you never know....he may just have been picked up by the author of your book.

The son baptised in 1818......Samuel Lyon Asher......was transported to Australia when he was 17/18. He was part of a gang that went round stealing things from people's gardens & was finally brought to book when he stole someone's coat in Nottm Castle Fishpool Gardens. I think I've got everything there is on him....including his death when he was thrown from a horse in Australia......he'd apparently become a model citizen.

This one is quite intriguing. Around 1850, an Elizabeth Asher reported the theft of several German watches from her house. Shortly afterwards, either 2 of her sons or her husband & brother in law , Jacob & Reuben Asher (not sure which generation this Elizabeth belonged to) plus a friend went out drinking with a local musician. They beat up the musician in an alley (no longer there) which would have been just past Byard Lane (Bridlesmith Gate) heading towards the Market Square. They were disturbed & left him for dead (very graphic reports of blood gurgling from his throat), taking his silver watch. He was very lucky to have survived. They only got one year each in prison, which may suggest the "mitigating circumstances" (???), that it was felt that he had stolen the watches & the watch they took was one of them.

Oh.....& anything about a George Asher who appeared in court in the 1860s charged with defrauding the Nottm Building Society. In the newspaper snippet I've got, it says that George Asher was one of the names he used.....I don't know if that implies it was/wasn't his real name.

Doubt there's any more to be found, but you never know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X