Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Further to Ancestry new railway records.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further to Ancestry new railway records.

Please can someone have a very quick look for George Graham.

March 1858 on birth of youngest child he was a clerk on the railway at Dumfries.

October 1858 he was killed in an accident at Dumfries railway (occ. still railway clerk) and I can find no mention of the accident.

Is he listed on these railway records please.

Many Thanks.
    Cath.

Had a look and nothing coming up. The records are mainly about awards and misdemeanours and some about pay.

Have you tried the local newspaper for any mention of the accident - I would have thought a death would be quite a sensation particularly on the railway as people were unused to it and a bit fearful.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, Have search everywhere I can think of for info but can find nothing.
      Cath.

Comment

Does the death certificate say it was an accident connected to the railways?
        Margaret

Comment

Death cert gives cause of death as an accident at the railway station Dumfries. Along side the entry it says " Results of Precognition" ... and the rest is hard to decipher but Scotlands People think it says "since received"
          They also guess that since the death was not straighforward there would have been a post mortem but it was not unusual enough to have had a Procurator Fiscal report.
          Not very helpful I'm afraid.
          Cath.

Comment

I take it there's no entry in the RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) after the death was investigated.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes John, that's right.
              Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                I take it there's no entry in the RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) after the death was investigated.
                Well that's a bit strange. I'd have expected to find one. Hold on till tomorrow and I'll check in the D&G Standard for you Cath.

Comment

Thanks - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
                  Cath.

Comment

If you look at the list of railways in the released records, they are relatively limited and don't include several major companies. Dumfries belonged to the Glasgow and South Western Railway (GSWR), which became part of the Midland in 1923. The East Coast railways (Great Northern and Great Eastern) are not yet included either.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ive been fortunate as my lot were based in Brighton and London - one line that is well covered

Comment

Cath, so sorry I forgot all about this! Will deffo do it tomorrow lunchtime.

Comment

Hi Cath, sorry no good news I'm afraid. I've checked the newspaper indexes (Dumfries and Galloway Standard) for the period and there's no accident at Dumfries railway station in 1858 and he's not listed in the personal names section either which is odd as I've expected to at least have found a notice of his funeral.

Comment

Thanks for your efforts. Odd there's no obit in the paper. There's a massive memorial in St. Michael's churchyard in memory of his mother who died in 1859 on which he is included. It too says he was a clerk at the railway station and that he died 10th Oct. 1858 aged 38yrs. If ever you get the time could you please look to see if there's an obit. for his mother Agnes Lee? (don't go out of your way - just if you're passing).

Many thanks again.
                            Cath.

Comment

No probs - will go look now.

UPDATE: sorry nothing for Agnes GRAHAM or LEE and variants. That really is most odd.
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 08-08-11, 15:59. Reason: update

Comment

Thanks very much. I wonder if there's any way of finding who paid for the memorial and when it was errected. Several stones in the vicinity have similar dates on them.
                                Cath.

Comment

Working...
                                X