A general query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A general query

Has anybody come across this phenomenon on any kind of scale, so that you could say it was a thing that happened reasonably often ? It looks like I may have a case in my family tree (Notts/Lincs borders) & I know of a case in my parents' generation (Notts/Leics borders), where a woman died &, the daughters went to live & be brought up by one of her sisters, whereas the sons went with the father into a second marriage. In both cases that I know of, you can't say that the father may have felt the daughters needed a mother more than a son did & they got used to living with their aunts & didn't want to move, because the fathers married VERY quickly after their wives died.....maybe it was felt they needed a woman they knew or, in the cases I'm dealing with, they simply didn't like their prospective stepmothers. Just curious if this happened in any particular area.

Hi Grey,

I havent really noticed anything like you describe in my tree, I have families where one parent died and then the spouse remarries, but the children still lived with their parent and new spouse.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think sometimes the daughters were used to help look after the home, clean etc etc..could it also be because the sons followed the trade of their father, so work related?

Comment

i dont know about who the kids lived with, but usually the father remarried quickly because he wasnt allowed to raise the children on his own. at least that is what my family says concerning my grandfathers step mother.

Comment

My gt Grandmother & her younger brother lived with their maternal Grandmother but their older brother lived with Dad.
          No other instances that I can think of in my family.
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies......seem to be "one offs" then, rather than any kind of tradition.

Comment

Working...
            X