Duce Hunt any one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duce Hunt any one?

I think I have just found John Duce (born 1805- Goldthorpe, Rotherham) on the Census returns. He is the sibling of one of my direct ancestors.

If I am correct he shows on the 1841 census as Ducce and is married to Sarah and they have a daughter Mary (Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1323; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Felkirk; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 9; Page: 1; Line: 16; GSU roll: 464274). The next time he seems to show is 1871 (Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4615; Folio: 77; Page: 26; GSU roll: 848398).

Can any one find him in 1851 and 1861 and his marriage to Sarah?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Sandra

Interesting that, in 1841, the name is interpreted as DUECE, rather than DUCCE. I can see why, it's certainly possible.

I also notice that they are in a household with a farmer, in the primary place on the household list, who is a genration older, and has the surname ARNOLD.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Even more interesting...

1838q1 list of names for the marriage at Ecclesfield under ref 22-79 includes:
      John DEWSE and Sarah ARNOLD.

No guarantees, of course - but looks very promising.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thank you for the lead.... I think I have found their marriage in Felkirk. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5046034

John Dewse married Sarah Arnold 8 Jan 1838

Sandra

Comment

Great!

I don't have a current Ancestry sub, so can't make use of any detailed hits there.

As a matter of interest, if that's parish registers... is Sarah's father called Benjamin?

Christine

Comment

They're really elusive in the censuses, though, aren't they!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Great!

I don't have a current Ancestry sub, so can't make use of any detailed hits there.

As a matter of interest, if that's parish registers... is Sarah's father called Benjamin?

Christine
              Yes Christine, he is Benjamin and his occupation was a Farmer..
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. It seems reasonable to suppose that it was her father with whom they were living in 1841, then.

I see that there are all sorts of potential hits in the Yorks parish registers if you use Soundex for the surname. I'd say it could be worth trawling through that lot for other potential family. Perhaps Sandra can find baptisms for the child(ren) of the John/Sarah marriage.

Just on the no-sub basis, I can see that there are a couple of possibles for the Mary baptism, with surname DEWS or DUES.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-08-11, 19:07.

Comment

In fact there are some almost-certainties amongst:

Benjamin Arnold DEWES
                  Thomas Arnold DEWES
                  Mary DEWS (see below: Baptism in Horbury registers)
                  Joe DEWS (see below: Baptism in Horbury registers)
                  Jane DEWS (see below: Baptism in Horbury registers)
                  Mary DUES

and there's also a Mary Ann DEWICK with parents John and Sarah. Only Mary DUES is in the Felkirk parish, though.

The parishes where the baptisms happened, + dates, might give you some clues about where to look for them in the censuses.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-08-11, 19:21.

Comment

I think that this might, possibly, be your family in 1851:
                    HO107/2314 fo 203 p 20 in Leeds / Hunslet
                    although the parents, John & Sarah, have ages only 38 and 39, and they all give Horbury as PoB.

There are lots of children, including the three noted above.

Christine

Comment

I think I have found the family on 1851 but, unless I am mistaken, they were living in Warmfield Wakefield.

Sarah is shown as being born in 1805 Cold Hiendley Wakefield, which is consistent with their marriage.

Their children are Mary born 1840, John born 1842, Benjamin born 1846, and Thomas born 1849.

However, I am still struggling to find the family in 1861.

Sandra

Comment

Sarah is shown as being born in 1805 Cold Hiendley Wakefield, which is consistent with their marriage.
                        That's also consistent with her PoB as listed in 1871; tho' it doesn't mention the "Cold" bit... it just says "Heinley"

Christine

Comment

I reckon that looks extremely likely to be the correct set.

Jno DEWSE ~ 46 ~ Goldthorp
                          Sarah ~ 46 ~ Cold Hiendley
                          and children Mary 11 (Cold Hiendley), Jno 8 (Warmfield), Benjamin 5 (Warmfield) & Thomas 2 (Warmfield). Those last two must be the ones with "Arnold" as a middle name.

Christine

Comment

Just realised - we're looking in 1861. Have you checked that they aren't likely to be in one of the places where the pieces were lost to flood damage?

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine,

How does one check which census' were damaged by floods?

Sandra

Comment

There's a list - on FMP, I think. If you have a look in the FTF Reference Library, I think there's a link.

Christine

Comment

I have looked in the census library and either I am not looking in the right place(quite possible!) or there is no link.

Sandra

Comment

Try here!
                                    With this handy guide, find out when each key UK census was taken, when the next census will be released, and much more...

Scroll down to see the gaps in the 1861.

Christine

Comment

Thank you Christine. It is probably a useful list to have. However, the family don't appear to be living in the missing census areas so it probably back to the drawing board!!

Sandra

Comment

I guess we're down to working our way through the various less-is-more tricks, then!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X