First cousins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First cousins

Hello Everyone. This is my first post and I am hoping that someone can help. I am using FTM 2011. I have two first cousins who married. They have the same grandfather and when I ask FTM to produce a descendant report for the grandfather I end up with duplicate entries on the report.
    In the FTM version I was using previously this did not happen. Only one set of people was listed. The children were listed under the first of the married cousins and then when the second of the cousins appeared in the report here was a note saying "Children listed above under (4) and the name."
    Is there any way of getting round this?
    Thanks in advance!

Hi

I'm not using 2011 but I would think it has the same feature as earlier versions. Have you added the individuals at some point then added (duplicated) them to create the marriage. If that's the case then the earlier versions allowed you to "merge" any duplicated individuals, this avoids having them appear in the index twice and problems with tree charts, relationships etc.

Any 2011 users out there who can give some more in depth detail?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The two cousins are definitely not in the tree twice. So merging is not the answer unfortunately.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

I do have FTM 2011 but am new to it, so don't fully know what it does/doesnt do, I changed from FTM 2005 and it wouldnt work with my new 64 bit wondows, so had to upgrade. So I am still playing about with it.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I married my 1st cousin and I cannot find anything in 2011 to prevent duplicate names I'm afraid, so this is a big problem for me.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            I do have FTM 2011 but am new to it, so don't fully know what it does/doesnt do, I changed from FTM 2005 and it wouldnt work with my new 64 bit wondows, so had to upgrade. So I am still playing about with it.
            I must admit finding software that works with 64 bit wondows is a bit of a problem

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

pah!! :p
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                I must admit finding software that works with 64 bit wondows is a bit of a problem
                Am sitting at my 64bit PC using Family Historian quite happily.

Do you mean duplication on a diagram or do you mean you have to enter people twice???

With FH, I enter the duplicated names once and can switch them on and off in a tree diagram. The attached show that my grandparents were first cousins:withduplicates.pdfwithoutduplicates.pdf
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

This is the reply I received from Ancestry when I sent my query to them.

<Unfortunately there is not a way to work around this in the current version of
                  the Family Tree Maker software. We will submit your feedback about this to our
                  developers as something to look into.>

The 2011 version is advertised as haviing upgraded features but I would describe this first cousins problem as a step back.

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Elizakate. I have a similar situation on my tree and had wondered if there was a way round it.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the next version of FTM!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      Looks like we'll have to wait for the next version of FTM!

I really think that this should be put right with a free update. We should not have to pay out for a new version of the program.

Comment

Out of interest, does anyone know how 2011 would handle this relationship problem if importing a ged file from say FTM 2005?

I'm looking at updating my prog as 2005 won't work on the new laptop and have ged files from 2005 and TP with first cousins marriages/relationships all showing just the once. Options for software aren't limited to FTM but as I can't get online atm then a download prog probably isn't viable but I don't want to spend a fortune on something that will be outdated in a year or so.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I was using FTM 2005 before I updated to 2011. The cousins marrying did not cause a problem in the report generated by the 2005 version. The children were listed under one cousin and when the second cousin was listed there was a note to say that the children were listed under xxxx above.
                          You say that 2005 will not work on the new laptop? Are you using windows 7? I have 2005 on my laptop (as well as 2011) and it works OK with windows 7.

Comment

I might have a corrupted disc as it installs ok but throws up errors when I try to run it, and yes, it's on Windows 7.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                              I might have a corrupted disc as it installs ok but throws up errors when I try to run it, and yes, it's on Windows 7.
                              ahh but Glen you have a 64 bit windows, and 2005 does NOT work on it, unless you install a virtual machine, and its a PITA tbh, so better to get FTM 2011 64bit. and it works a treat.
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                ahh but Glen you have a 64 bit windows, and 2005 does NOT work on it, unless you install a virtual machine, and its a PITA tbh, so better to get FTM 2011 64bit. and it works a treat.
                                Sorry to be so ignorant but what does this mean <<unless you install a virtual machine, and its a PITA tbh, >>? I have 2005 on my windows 7 laptop and it works OK.

Comment

sorry Eliza didnt mean to confuse you, on 64 bit windows, (the older laptops and pc's are 32bit) (I think!!) to get FTM 2005 to work on my puter or even 2009, I had to install a virtual machine running XP on my new laptop, this then enabled me to use FTM 2005 and my baptism cds which wouldnt work under 64bit. though it is a 'pain in the bottom' <<naughty word>> as you have to power up your laptop and then 'start' XP as you would when you boot up, except that it is within your windows 7 installation.
                                  Julie

Comment

Scrub what I said, i'm thinking about a different prog I was trying out, and it was on a memory stick anyway, duhhhhhhhhhh. My FTM stuff was erm, damaged, along with all my backups a while ago.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks for your reply Darksecretz. I have 2005 on this laptop - windows 7 - but I just installed it. How does one install a "Virtual machine"? I have the 1881 census discs but have not been able to use them on this laptop as the viewer does not work on it.

Comment

Hi Eliza,

it might be that your laptop is a 32bit version, which is why you havent had any problems with it.

this is the link for it, http://www.oracle.com/us/technologie...vm/061976.html

my OH actually installed it and got it up and running but its a bit of a faff !!

have you tried googling for a solution to the 1881 census issue?
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X