Royal Artillery Brigades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Artillery Brigades

I've found what may be my grandfather's WWI army record and it shows his brigade as Mn FA Bde. I've snipped the area showing this on the original form and it's here. I assume FA stands for Field Artillery, but does anyone have any idea what the Mn stands for? He was a miner, which I thought was a reserved occupation, but maybe not and the Mn relates to this?
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

They might have needed miners skills for tunnelling and such so some needed, also a lot of men enlisted rather than be conscripted so whatever their occupation they went voluntarily and would not have been sent away I don't suppose.
    Margaret

Comment

I had a look at that image. The bit that's been interpreted as "Mn" looks like "Miner" to me. On my screen, it seems that there are traces of other letters there - and certainly the room for the whole word.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The first bit looks like 2/3, which could be 2nd/3rd Company or Battalion. And I think it's likely that F A stands for Field Artillery. I think it's much more likely that he's a gunner than a miner. Miners were in the Royal Engineers.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          The first bit looks like 2/3, which could be 2nd/3rd Company or Battalion. And I think it's likely that F A stands for Field Artillery. I think it's much more likely that he's a gunner than a miner. Miners were in the Royal Engineers.
          I must say that I thought the combination of Miner & Artillery seemed unusual... but I forgot to say so!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you, all. I thought the Mn was Miner, too, Christine. I just wish I'd been old enough to ask him when he was alive. Oh well.
            Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Is there a Medal Card for him? Worth looking at, just to confirm regiment although it probably won't give the specific unit.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Looks more like Btn (Battalion) rather than MN. If you give his name and army serial number, can look up his medal card

David
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                  Is there a Medal Card for him? Worth looking at, just to confirm regiment although it probably won't give the specific unit.
                  I haven't found one yet.

ETS: I just found it. It says RFA - Royal Field Artillery.

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                  Looks more like Btn (Battalion) rather than MN. If you give his name and army serial number, can look up his medal card

David
                  Could be, but I found the same info a little clearer on the document. His name was Joseph Ord and the number shown on the attestation is 2285, but I don't know his full service number.

ETS: 2285, 760727
                  Last edited by lorry53; 01-08-11, 18:44.

Comment

Lorry53,
                    The medal card and service history documents for your man (Joseph Ord 2285) are available on Ancestry.

If you do not have access to Ancestry send me a PM and can take it from there.

Incidentally his service docs says he was attested into the Northumbrian F. A. so I feel that the abbreviation is
                    actually NM rather that MN

David
                    Last edited by grumpy; 01-08-11, 22:59.
                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                      Lorry53,
                      The medal card and service history documents for your man (Joseph Ord 2285) are available on Ancestry.

If you do not have access to Ancestry send me a PM and can take it from there.

Incidentally his service docs says he was attested into the Northumbrian F. A. so I feel that the abbreviation is
                      actually NM rather that MN

David
                      Thanks, David, I updated my post after I found his medal card at Ancestry. I'm beginning to think this may not be him, but the address shown on the attestation document is the same mining village he lived in all his life, so it's a bit of a coincidence. I'll keep digging!

Comment

Working...
                      X