Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brodie Family Manchester

Hi all,

I'm very new to this site and I came across it by doing a google search and I've got a few questions to ask about my family in Manchester on where to possibly find records etc but first of all I'm going to just start out with a question to do with my gg grandmother, but to let everyone know that I think that I've got a mystery on my hands in regards to my grandfather's family. Anyway onto my gg grandmother.

Her name was Susannah Mary CUNNINGHAM born 4 Nov 1846 in Isle of Wight Ryde Hampshire England. According to the 1851 census she lived in Carisbrooke Hampshire England. In 1871 she lived in Gorton Lancashire England. She married my gg grandfather John BRODIE (1853-1892) on the 13 Feb 1872 in the Cathedral Manchester. In the years listed below she lived in -

1881 - Hulme
    1891 - Chorlton on Medlock
    1901 - Salford
    1911 - Ancoats

Her death was registered in May 1919 and she was buried on the 15 May 1919 at the Phillips Park Cemetery I consecrated section. I found a copy of the burial register on the Manchester City Council website when I did a genealogy search which I printed and it gives the usual details of the date, name of deceased age etc. The thing I thought was interesting that it listed her abode when she died as the Poorhouse in the parish or district of Cheetham.

So seeing this about the Poorhouse I tried doing searches on Poorhouses in England and basically got information on the Workhouses but nothing about the Poorhouses. Are the Poorhouses the same as the Workhouses? Of course I could be totally doing the wrong type of searches as I'm still learning things to do with family history. Also another thing that I'm getting confused with is how the surburbs work, for example to explain what I mean, I live in Mt Gravatt (surburb) Brisbane (town) Queensland (state) Australia (country). Can I interpret Manchester the same way that is Ancoats is the surburb, Manchester is the town, Lancashire the state and of course England is the country? This probably is a silly question but I don't know much about the UK and I apologise in advance if this seems to be such an obvious question :o

Would anyone know where I could get records of the Poorhouses/Workhouses? I thought that this might give me some clues. I do have other questions to ask about other parts of my Brodie family but thought that I would start with this first as I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Joanne

Hi Jo,

welcome to the forum, in answer to your first question, yes, Ancotes is the suburb, manchester the town and lancs the county.

and yes a Poorhouse usually means the Workhouse or Workhouse infirmary (Hospital connected to the workhouse).

IF you are really lucky you might find some workhouse records that have survived, though, to be honest, there are not that many left in circulation. (and what are left are usually kept in the archives local to the place of the workhouse)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

this might be a way to gain a little insight into the Workhouse

Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thank you for clarifying the suburbs etc. I will check out the link and it's now good to know about the workhouses and poorhouses. As you mention in your post about the workhouse infirmary being a hospital connected to the workhouse as my gg grandmother could have been in the hospital for some reason. Would the death certificate show any details of cause of death and address of death at all? I haven't gotten a copy of her death certificate yet but I was wondering what details are on the death certificates and is it worth getting a copy of it?

Thanks again Julie.

Jo

Comment

this one also might help

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Jo38 View Post
            Hi Julie,

Thank you for clarifying the suburbs etc. I will check out the link and it's now good to know about the workhouses and poorhouses. As you mention in your post about the workhouse infirmary being a hospital connected to the workhouse as my gg grandmother could have been in the hospital for some reason. Would the death certificate show any details of cause of death and address of death at all? I haven't gotten a copy of her death certificate yet but I was wondering what details are on the death certificates and is it worth getting a copy of it?

Thanks again Julie.

Jo
            no problems :smilee: the death cert will show, cause of death and place of death and who registered the death. (if she was married it might say, widow/wife of.........) it might say age at death, but will not say date of birth, as I think this didnt get introduced until 1969.
            Julie

Comment

Hello Jo

I was actually born in Cheetham Workhouse, which by the time of my birth was a hospital.

Death certs show cause of death, although these can often be very uninformative - old age, for example. If your relative had only been in the workhouse infirmary for a short time, it might show her usual address. The informant is likely to be a workhouse official (the registrar called almost daily at workhouses and other institutions) but may be a relative, of course.

Strictly, pedantically speaking, lol - Manchester is a city, not a town.

OC

Comment

this section in our Reference Library gives some insight of English BMD certs and might be of some help to you

Julie

Comment

Hi OC,

Thank you for the information. I'm not sure how long she was in the infirmary but I'm thinking it might have been a while that she could have been there as my gg grandfather John BRODIE had died 28 years before she died so I'm thinking maybe that after my gg grandfather died she may have gone to the workhouse, it's all part of the mystery I'm trying to crack lol....

Jo

Comment

Hi again Julie,

Thank you again.

Jo

Comment

But you have her on the census in 1911 and she died in 1919, so that's "only" 8 years. You need the death cert. Incidentally, the death cert will not say "Workhouse" or even Infirmary, it will just give a street address, which will be Delauneys Rd, Cheetham Hill.

OC

Comment

the death cert may give some understanding of why she was int he workhouse. for example the cause of death could explain how long she may have been there. if it was something like 'bronchitis' she was probably only there a short time, but if she had cancer or something, she could have been in the hospital a while.

Comment

Hi kylejustin,

Sorry I haven't replied before now to thank you for your input. I've been rather busy with work which really hasn't given me time for family history.

I appreciate your advice.

Regards,

Joanne

Comment

Hi OC,

Thank you too for the advice of the death cert about not actually mentioning the poorhouse but the address will be helpful I think.

Regards,

Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              But you have her on the census in 1911 and she died in 1919, so that's "only" 8 years. You need the death cert. Incidentally, the death cert will not say "Workhouse" or even Infirmary, it will just give a street address, which will be Delauneys Rd, Cheetham Hill.

OC
                              Hi Jo and welcome to FTF.

I think it must depend on where you lived as to whether the place of death is given as opposed to just the street name. I have a relative whose death cert reads 1875 Lunatic Asylum, Thorpe (Norfolk), aother which reads 1916, Union Infirmary, Rushmere, Ipswich (Suffolk) and another - 1874, Union Workhouse, Ipswich. (Suffolk)
                              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat

I should have elaborated, lol. I'm not sure when, sometime at the turn of the century I thought, the Registrar General issued instructions that the name of an Institution was no longer to appear on certificates, just a street address, given the stigma attached to workhouses etc in those days. I had thought it was before 1916, though.

OC

Comment

i think if in the 'occupation' column, it gives an address as well as the actual occupation or husbands name, that means they didnt live iont he workhouse, they were just in hospital, or that they hadnt been in the workhouse regurly.

Comment

Working...
                                  X