Hope this site grows, local issued marriage certs could become easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope this site grows, local issued marriage certs could become easier

As you have to know the venue (church/chapel name) to obtain a locally issued marriage cert it can be difficult to order them, this site might make things easier in future. My main areas of interest aren't covered as yet.t a quick try with a known London marriage came up with the following

LDS result;
    13 Jun 1848
    Christ Church, Southwark

Marriage Locator result;
    GRO Index: 1848 quarter 2, volume 4, page 518:
    This marriage was at Southwark Christ Church

Quoting from the site

Because this project started with a particular focus towards the East End of London, the records held are richest for the RDs of Stepney, Mile End, St George in the East, Whitechapel, and Shoreditch for the years 1837 to 1911 (after which the spouse name is included in the Index). Although our volunteers have contributed data from other areas and other years, coverage elsewhere can be still patchy ... but is increasing - we currently have well over a quarter of a million (just under 270,000) entries!
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 30-07-11, 13:21.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Thanks for pointing out this site, I'm sure it will be very useful.
    Margaret

Comment

thanks for that

Comment

Interesting. My grandparents were married at Hackney Register Office. The locator gives a location of "between Hackney St. Michael and All Angels (RD: Hackney) and Bloomsbury St George (RD: St Giles)". So the register office and registrar attended marriages are numbered after the church marriages (at least in this case).
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

it was confusing how it worked till i saw the page glen linked to. may help in some cases, but only if you can get to the original registers!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            may help in some cases, but only if you can get to the original registers!
            I think that's the point of the site, it tells you which venue the marriage took place at so you can apply to the relevant reg office who hold the original register, in many cases they can then supply a scanned/electronic duplicate of the register in the form of a certificate.

I have one marriage cert that I obtained the GRO and local version of, the only details shared on both are the venue, date and name of the clergy, the names of bride and groom plus witnesses are all incorrect on the GRO version but correct (and display original signatures) on the local issued copy.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Might be worth saying here that if you're looking for a marriage in Birmingham or Aston, you can apply to Birmingham Register Office without knowing the church. All their marriages have been indexed, so just give them the GRO reference (yes, they use these at Brum) or whatever details you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackberry View Post
                Might be worth saying here that if you're looking for a marriage in Birmingham or Aston, you can apply to Birmingham Register Office without knowing the church. All their marriages have been indexed, so just give them the GRO reference (yes, they use these at Brum) or whatever details you have.

Worth knowing for reference, some of m research is heading in that direction.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                X