Laptop Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Question

My laptop gets really hot within about 10 minutes of using it. I usually have it plugged into the mains and thought this may be the problem so I tried it on battery but no difference. Is this normal? If so, then why the hell do they call it a laptop - it's burning my knees as I speak. I have tried using it on a tray but it still gets really hot.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

How old is it Lynne - and where are the vents?
    Marion
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

They do get very hot and you can buy a cooling tray to put it on but as you say it defeats the object. They should just be called 'portable' which in fact they are in Spain.
      Margaret

Comment

I suspect that if you read the manual that came with it you will find that it tells you specifically not to use it directly on your lap
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Grims right they reckon its dangerous to put them on your lap

Comment

People have had servere burns using a laptop on their lap. I read an article about how the NHS are seeing more and more cases at A&E of burns due to this.
            I am new to the laptop/net book but either use mine on my desk or on my coffee table making sure the vents are clear. It still gets hot.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I sit with my Dell laptop on my lap for a couple of hours every evening wearing shorts without it getting hot, just warm
              Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
              http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

My Dell, like Mike's, hardly gets warm although I do use a laptop tray (from Ikea) mostly. It is just over a year old.

My OH and grandson both have newish HP laptops and they get uncomfortably hot after a very short time. My grandson (12) insists on using his whilst sitting up in bed and I've noticed the quilt gets very hot. I'm always telling him to use the tray! I recently read of a house fire that was believed to have started when a laptop overheated when it was left on a bed and I get paranoid about it now ;)
                My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Take the battery out and use it with no battery.
                  Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

have a look at the link below to see why you should not use the laptop on your lap. (most places now actually list them as Notebooks)

Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X