Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google search

Hi all

I am trying to do Google searches to see if I can obtain any information on individuals I am researching prior to 1841 census, have tried LDS site, with no results and do not seem to be having any luck with Google. I am putting " each side of the name and adding genealogy. I would appreciate any tips you can give me to improve the results.

Many thanks
    Trish

You could try http://randymajors.com/p/ancestorsearch.html which has been recommended to me by an expert although I have not used it myself yet.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I have had previous success doing in quotes as you do and then adding the town of birth, or the county, or if they are married the surname of the spouse.

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Also try putting the name in different ways. By putting " either side of it Google only looks for exact matches in that order. So you could try "John Smith" and "Smith John" or "J Smith" etc.
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks, Webwiz,

That site works well. I have tried it on a couple of easy ones with excellent results.

Thanks Linda and Jackie

The link Webwiz has given does what you have suggested. Off to play with it now.

Trish

Comment

You could also try Google books, I've found some interesting things there.
            Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
              You could also try Google books, I've found some interesting things there.
              I'll second that, it's google books that have led me to my recent Guernsey discoveries and I found over 40 diferent books with references to my Goulson family.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi Jenoco and Glen.

Sorry to be tardy with my thanks but have not been able to research for a while, life keeps interrupting. lol. It looks an interesting site, new to me so will have to study it.

regards
                Trish

Comment

Are you also aware that putting a minus sign [-] in front of a term will exclude it. That's particularly useful if you have a name which is regularly linked to something which is irrelevant to your search, or for which there's a famous person - or just a busy-on-the-web person - who isn't yours.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jeffery...s/Instuts.html institutions 1901 census Extracted if it of any help

Edna

Comment

Thanks to all

I will give everything a try.

Trish

Comment

Working...
                      X