John Luttman - Where are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Luttman - Where are you?

Looking for John Luttman in 1841 and 1871, as well as his birth.

John Luttman, born abt 1827, Bow, Middlesex.

Can't find birth/baptismal record for him

1841 - MISSING
    1851 - I think he's with the Barrell family in MEOT. It says brother, but I suspect brother-in-law is correct
    1856 - marries Elizabeth in Paddington; Father: John Luttman, whose occupation is gardener
    1861 - Stepney
    1871 - MISSING
    1881 - MEOT
    1891 - MEOT

Thanks!
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-07-11, 05:29. Reason: added info

Found the 1871!
    Lattman! The transcription appears correct, it was the enumerator who misspelled it.

Comment

Who else might he be living with in 1841?
      Not seeing anything on an initial trawl but if the name is written incorrectly it might only be possible to identify him from association with others.
      Margaret

Comment

On the 1851 census i found this... not with the barrell family...

address - 192 Whitechapel Road, Stepney.

Henry Williams Head 69
        Sarah Williams Wife 70
        Richard Whatford? son-in-law 75
        Ann Whatford? daughter 44
        JOHN LUTTMAN servant 23 - Porter - Born Bow, Middlesex
        Craig

Comment

No, I don't know who he would have been with in 1841. The marriage record shows his father as John Luttman, witnesses James Richards and Mary Ann South???

I actually think the John Luttman with the Williams family is the same as the John Luttman with the Barrell family! I've seen individuals counted twice in the US census, anyone ever seen it in the UK census?

At the Barrell house, he reports that he is a Fishmonger's shopman. At the Williams house, his relationship is servant, his occupation is porter, and Mr Williams is a Fishmonger. Any opinions about this idea?

It is also interesting that Mr Barrell is a bricklayer - John Luttman is a bricklayer when he marries.

Comment

I have a lady who is on one census 3 times at her different childrens addresses so it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              No, I don't know who he would have been with in 1841. The marriage record shows his father as John Luttman, witnesses James Richards and Mary Ann South???

I actually think the John Luttman with the Williams family is the same as the John Luttman with the Barrell family! I've seen individuals counted twice in the US census, anyone ever seen it in the UK census?

At the Barrell house, he reports that he is a Fishmonger's shopman. At the Williams house, his relationship is servant, his occupation is porter, and Mr Williams is a Fishmonger. Any opinions about this idea?

It is also interesting that Mr Barrell is a bricklayer - John Luttman is a bricklayer when he marries.
              Often employees were described as servants. Being counted twice I think could easily happen as the forms were given out in the week before and handed back he week after so people had plenty of scope to get it wrong.
              Margaret

Comment

Possibly he, but no other clues to confirm it!

I like the idea that he is both of the Luttmans in 1851. Haven't figured out how he is related to the Barrells.

Thanks, everyone

Comment

Mary Ann Luttman married Charles Barrell on 12th May 1845 at St Matthew Bethnal Green. Her father was John Luttman, gardener which ties in with what your John Luttman said at his marriage.

Jackie

Comment

Thank you, Jackie - I hadn't looked for it yet. Now I need to find her in 1841

Comment

Working...
                    X