Fred Vyse where are you in 1881?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Vyse where are you in 1881?

I wonder if anyone can find my gt gt grandfather Fred Vyse on the 1881 census. He was born 1841 at Newcastle under Lyne Staffordshire. He's not dead because he's back with wife Sarah and children in 1891 but I've tried and tried and just can't find him in 1881. He was a stonemason.

Hoping someone can do better than me !

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

have had a look but cant find him either :(
    I also tried various spellings and even the 1881 census for Wales.
    Jan

Comment

Have you got him in 1871 RG10 piece 3707 folio 158 page 23 he's shown as a widower here.
      Can't see him in 1881 yet
      Margaret

Comment

It's bound to be horribly mistranscribed as the name is unusual. Have you found all his siblings and parents in 1881 in case he's with/near them. I guess as a Stonemason he may have had to travel for his work - just thinking of Robert in Lark Rise to Candleford who was away for 3 months in Oxford building something or other!

Comment

thanks for helping Margaret,yes I have him in 1871-his 1st wife ,Hannah (my gt gt grandmother) had died in 1869 and my gt grandmother,Jessie and her brother Charles are with their Vyse grandparents. I've tried all combinations of spelling and have already found many weird transcriptions of Vyse. One of them was Boice !! Can't even remember how I found that one !

Liz

Comment

I have tried too and found nothing I tried just putting Fred in and leaving off the surname too sorry,

Comment

You will find him eventually and it will be a mis-transcription for sure.
              Margaret

Comment

thanks everyone I'm relieved it's not just me !!

Liz

Comment

Have a look in Anglesey at "Fredrick PRYSE".

You'll need to check to see if he exists independently of your Fred VYSE, but he's the right sort of age, married, and b Newcastle, Staffs, and he's a stonemason.

I'd suspect that a local enumerator thought the name was supposed to be PRYS/PREES (or other variant) - or misread his own writing, or something.

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-07-11, 22:26.
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

never thought to look in that area ? not that I would have found it ,clever you Christine

Comment

Well done Christine! good bit of lateral thinking!!
                      Margaret

Comment

I found that likely hit by not putting in his surname, but putting in the occupation and PoB. I think I made use of wildcards, too, so put only Fred* & stone*. ~ Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is that on ancestry? I've never tried using occupations where do you enter that?
                          Margaret

Comment

Well done Christine!

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            Is that on ancestry? I've never tried using occupations where do you enter that?
                            Margaret
                            if you use the new search Margaret, then it'll be in the 'more' & 'keyword' box, not sure on the old search though.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Christine I will try that although I do prefer the old search for the most part.
                              Margaret

Comment

Christine thankyou so much!! You found him in a day and I've been looking for months!!! Also thanks for the search tips-maybe I should use Ancestry's new search more- I don't really like it for most searches but it certainly came up trumps this time! I shall try your tips with some of my other "unfindables".

Liz

Yes Christine that's my man! I'm delighted. The labourer George (Boffey?) was born nr Nantwich in Cheshire and Fred and other family members lived around Nantwich. So he must have had work on Anglesey at the time of the census. I think the enumerator had very elaborate writing and maybe the very loopy V was transcribed as Pr or maybe he misheard it.

Bravo Christine !!
                                Last edited by congletonian; 28-07-11, 18:59.

Comment

I'm so pleased! But I should own up... I was using FMP, not Ancestry.

But I think it should also be possible to use FamilySearch? I won't experiment now, myself: we're away from home and the internet link isn't exactly zoomy!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                  X