A family story.....your thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A family story.....your thoughts please

From my first real foray into military research I came up with the following, just wondered what everyone thinks and how the balance of the man and the big picture works?

Frank Job Goulson
    Preface

The comments referring to Lt-Col Goulson which have been transcribed in this document are those of
    the Commanding Officers of the 2nd West African, 82nd West African and 15th Indian Div. So suitably
    impressed by the actions of Lt-Col Goulson during the Arakan campaign that they recommended he
    should receive the Periodical Award of the OBE.

Many units were deployed within the Arakan region under the control of the British XV Corps,
    throughout 1944 and 1945 they were engaged in action to prevent both the Japanese withdrawal and to
    go on the offensive and capture the Arakan region.
    Allied forces have no viable means of land communication, the recapture of Singapore and Malaya
    cannot take place until Burma is liberated.
    In the northern areas American and Chinese troops engage the enemy and attempt to establish
    communication and transport links.

For reasons of chronology the opening comment from the recommendation is not included in the main
    article but is transcribed below;

During the three months from FEB-MAY 1945 in which 82(WA) Div has been operating in the Arakan, Lt-
    Col Goulson has commanded his bn with skill and determination.

The recommendation had to be approved by the Commander in Chief of Allied Land Forces, his
    recommendation for the award of the Distinguished Service Order Medal (DSO). The award was
    announced in The London Gazette during January of 1946;

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 17 JANUARY, 1946
    The Distinguished Service Order.

Lieutenant-Colonel (temporary) Frank Job GOULSON
    (66499), The Lincolnshire Regiment (attd. The
    Gold Coast Regiment) (Felixstowe).

Burma 1944-1945

September 1944
    British XV Corps are order to engage the enemy and go on the offensive in the Arakan front, thereby
    driving the Japanese away from strategic areas.

October 1944
    Admiral Mountbatten orders the offensive against Mandalay to commence as soon as possible. The
    previously unified theatre of operations becomes divided between Indo-Burmese and Chinese Sectors.

November 1944
    Japanese units in the Anwe region are ordered to withdraw towards central Burma, a position from
    which they can be easily deployed throughout the region and to the south.

December 1944
    If the coastal section of the Arakan can be freed bases can be established. This will greatly
    assist in the liberation of Burma.
    The British XV Corps go on the offensive whilst the 82nd West African Div penetrate the Kalapanzia
    Valley and capture Buthidaung. Japanese forces withdraw from Akyab, the 25th Indian Div reach Foul
    Point in the Arakan coastal region.
    British advances in the Arakan are swifter than anticipated, senior commanders are called to
    Calcutta for discussions with Mountbatten about how to exploit this success.

January 1945
    Akyab Island is invaded by the XV Corps despite the presence of the 54th Div from the Japanese 28th
    Army. The air and naval bases on the island allow bombardment to be provided, thus enabling the
    25th Indian Div manage to occupy the entire Myobon peninsula. British 3rd Commando Brigade land at
    Kangaw and in doing so threaten to cut off the retreating Japanese 54th Div. Resistance from the
    Japanese at Kangaw is thwarted by the 25th Indian Div, two African Divisions head south to Myotoung.

February 1945
    Admiral Mountbatten decides to speed arrangements for the offensives against Mandalay and Rangoon.
    Additional units arrive in the Arakan region, and begin to capture more of the region. By Feb 10th
    Allied forces have crossed the River Irrawaddy to the west of Mandalay. The Japanese again counter
    attack at Kangaw.

Feb 12th:

Partial transcription from War Office documentation
    Lt-Col GOULSON commenced five days of continual action at KANGAW afflicting heavy casualties on the
    enemy.

The 25th Indian Div land on the Arakan Coast west of AN, they will attempt to prevent the Japanese
    withdrawal to Prome further to the east.

March 1945

Action intensifies in the Arakan region. Preparations are made for the advance to Mandalay, units
    approach from the west and north east. Air bombardment allows the capture of Mandalay and the
    defeat of the Japanese strongholds that offered the most resistance. The 25th Indian Div advance
    along the coast from AN and take Tamandu.

Mar 1st to Mar 25th;

Lt-Col GOULSON and his bn in constant contact with the enemy in the area of ME Chaung and inflicted
    numerous casualties.

Mar 6th;

Lt-Col GOULSON’S bn formed part of a force to block Japanese withdrawal eastward along the TAMANDU-
    AN road, in the course of heavy fighting charged an enemy position capturing and destroying three
    105mm guns.

Mar 26th/27th;

On the night of 26/27 March the Bde commenced to break contact with the Japanese in the area of the
    TAMANDU-AN road. It was necessary to impose on the enemy and deceive him as to our intentions. This
    was done throughout the night by Lt-Col GOULSON’S bn by a skilled show of activity designed to draw
    attention to the forward troops and to give opportunity of withdrawal to a coln of about 1,400 men
    including 250 wounded and 300 mules which were withdrawing over a route unavoidably exposed to
    enemy view for about 1,800 yards. By dawn this vulnerable convoy had successfully withdrawn, it was
    now time for the forward troops.
    Lt-Col GOULSON’S bn was between the other two bns of the Bde. It was therefore on his careful co-
    ordination with neighbouring units, exact timing and tactical skill in the disengaging from the
    enemy that the success of the Bde operation as a whole largely depended. Lt-Col GOULSON’S cool and
    skilled handling of his bn during the operation enabled the withdrawal to be carried out without
    detection and without loss.

April 1945

With Mandalay captured the offensive against Rangoon is underway. Japanese forces in Rangoon, under
    the command of General Kimura, are ordered to withdraw to the north east of Pegu. The 17th Indian
    Div penetrates Pegu and begins to mop up the area.

Parts of the Arakan region have fallen under Japanese control, British XV Corps units occupy
    Taungup and the Allied re-capture of the region is complete.
    Japanese forces withdrawing from Mandalay and Rangoon start to arrive in large numbers. Allied
    forces continue to engage the Japanese in the Arakan region and delay any attempted enemy
    withdrawal to the west.

May 1945

The first week of May sees the capture of Rangoon, heavy bombing raids caused the Japanese to flee,
    Allied troops entered Rangoon without encountering resistance. Rangoon is captured.
    20th Indian Div enter Prome, thereby cutting off the last route available to the Japanese
    withdrawal from the Arakan region

May 6/7th

On the night of 6/7 May it was suspected the enemy might be thinning out or withdrawing from the
    dominant PANMYAUNTAUNG feature above TAUNGUP. Two platoons were crossed over the R.TAUNG during the
    hours of darkness at low tide, while a company was held ready for exploitation at first light. With
    the swift ebb and flow of the waters in this tidal river a crossing especially, at night is
    difficult and hazardous.
    These risks and difficulties Lt-Col Goulson shared with the forward troops himself swimming with
    them and getting them safely over despite the tide which was rapidly flowing in.
    Careful in planning and thorough in execution, this officer has well earned the confidence of his
    tps who are further inspired by his personal example of courage.

The 82nd West African Div head south from Taungup and occupy Sandoway by May 10th before heading on
    to take Gwa.
    British reorganisations of commands and functions takes place at the end of the month, as Burma has
    now been liberated preparations are underway for operations in Malaya and the Dutch East Indies.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

It certainly reads (I read fairly quickly, and didn't spend time looking at maps for the geographical implications) as if Lt Col GOULSON played a significant tactical rôle in implementing the strategies of the top brass.

He seems to have been intelligent, efficient, conscientious, and courageous. In any soldier that's a formidable combination.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, I always struggled to try and see the "big picture" and the role Lt-Col Goulson played until I laid the story out as above, it's also one of the periods/places that is often forgotton in WWII as it's at the time the European conflict was comuing to an end (dates mentioned include the night Dresden was hit by the 1000 bomber raid and I believe VE Day too).

One error I need to correct, it was a recommendation for the OBE but he was awarded the DSO instead, the OBE came along some years later when he headed up a UN peacekeeping mission but there isn't much documented about that.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Certainly makes very interesting reading. He sure was a very busy man, in a very tough arena of war where many lost their lives. He appears to have fought over most of the country. I would think that his DSO was well deserved.

Comment

An interesting read but I found the bit about the recommendation confusing - how you mention it at the beginning then it seems to get lost in the text below. I'd also be tempted to be more specific about the War Office documentation - name or reference of source.

There could be something on the documentsonline site about the OBE.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
            An interesting read but I found the bit about the recommendation confusing - how you mention it at the beginning then it seems to get lost in the text below. I'd also be tempted to be more specific about the War Office documentation - name or reference of source.

There could be something on the documentsonline site about the OBE.
            The bits in italics are transcriptions of the recommendation from documentsonline, the Commanding Officers recommended the award of the OBE but the Commander in Chief of Allied Land Forces annoted the recommendation and changed it from an OBE to the DSO.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
            X