No announcement yet.

could this be my 5th grt grandparents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could this be my 5th grt grandparents?

3rd great granny-
    County Norfolk
    Place Kings Lynn
    Church St Margaret
    BaptismDate 17 Dec 1782
    Forename Rebecca
    Sex F
    FatherForename William MotherForename Martha
    FatherSurname THORBON

As there are few results for the name I opted for a soundex search and Norfolk as the preferred county; I'm pretty certain this is the baptism of my 4th grt grandfather, there are also several baptism records for siblings and all the names filter down through the generations.

County Norfolk
    Place Kings Lynn
    Church St Nicholas
    BaptismDate 26 May 1745
    Forename William
    Sex M
    FatherForename John
    MotherForename Elizabeth
    FatherSurname THORBONE

The only fly in the ointment is that I don't have anything to indicate when he was born so is the 1745 baptism just wishful thinking???
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Just having a quick look for you.

Found this on Family search new site

William Thorbon male burial date 7 Jan 1792 at Lynn Norfolk.

I'll keep looking
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks

Found a few bits and put them in report form, making an assumption the death you mention is his then everything seems plausable?

Descendants of :
      William Thorbon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generation 1

1. William Thorbon died Jan 1792 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. He married Martha Rogers 10 Jul 1770 in St Margarets, Kings Lynn. She was born in Possibly Norfolk and died in Unknown.

Children of William Thorbon and Martha Rogers:
      i. 2. Joseph Thorbon was born 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk
      ii. William Thorbon was born ABT 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk
      iii. James Thorbon was born 1774 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk
      iv. 3. Rebecca Thorbon was born 1782 in Kings Lynn,Norfolk and died in Great Dunham,Norfolk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generation 2

2. Joseph Thorbon was born 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
      Other events in the life of Joseph Thorbon
      Baptism: 10 Jan 1772 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Children of Joseph Thorbon:
      i. William Thorbon was born ABT 1801 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died AFT 1891
      ii. Mary Thorbon was born ABT 1803 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died AFT 1891
      iii. Martha Thorbon was born ABT 1809 in Guernsey, Channel Islands and died AFT 1891

3. Rebecca Thorbon was born 1782 in Kings Lynn,Norfolk and died in Great Dunham,Norfolk. She married John Harrison 27 Nov 1823 in St Nicholas, Kings Lynn. He was born ABT 1790 in unknown.
      Other events in the life of Rebecca Thorbon
      Baptism: 17 Dec 1782 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Children of Rebecca Thorbon and John Harrison:
      i. 4. Elizabeth Martha Harrison was born 1826 in Heacham,Norfolk and died 05 Sep 1864 in Walsingham,Norfolk

Generation 3

4. Elizabeth Martha Harrison was born 1826 in Heacham,Norfolk and died 05 Sep 1864 in Walsingham,Norfolk. She married George Elmer 10 Mar 1851 in Parish Church,Great Dunham,Norfolk. He was born 1823 in North Elmham,Norfolk and died 29 Jul 1901 in 37 Sibthorpe Street, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, son of Robert Elmer and Hannah Curson.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generation 4 includes a group of children born to George Elmer/Elizabeth Martha Harrison who have the middle name of Thorbon and forenames of ancestors including Martha, William, John. Elizabeth and Rebecca.
      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 26-07-11, 10:51.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just found REbecca 1782 but you have found it. Are the original records on LSD pilot where Norfolk is view only and not transcribed or indexed. This might help a bit.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I found a lot on the pilot site when it launched and a lot of bits on freereg, luckily the details always seem to match so the transcriptions must be pretty good.

I think I have most of the stuff from 1770 forwards but it was late yesterday I found the 1745 baptism, i'm just hoping it could be the breakthrough I have waited for on this line...............but is it my lot??? Gawd I hate that question every time it comes up
          Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 26-07-11, 12:04.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Mmm

Wonder if these are the burials of John and Elizabeth?

County Norfolk
            Place Kings Lynn
            Church St Nicholas
            RegisterNumber
            BurialDate 18 Sep 1767
            Forename John
            Surname THORBONE
            Notes Affidavit Mr Patteson 19
            FileNumber 1008

County Norfolk
            Place Kings Lynn
            Church St Nicholas
            BurialDate 21 Feb 1766
            Forename Elisabeth
            Relationship Wife of
            Rel1MaleForename John
            Rel1Surname THORBONE
            Surname THOREBONE
            Notes Affidavit Mr Patteson 24
            FileNumber 1008
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 26-07-11, 13:39.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Look what I found about Joseph Thorbon..........from a site listing letter of marques taken out against the United States War of 1812

Link so I can find it again myself..............http://www.1812privateers.org/Great%...0and%20Dec.htm

Link to image of declaration........http://www.1812privateers.org/1812IMAGES/015.jpg

Guernsey 15 (vessell) Lion Cutter (commander) Joseph Thorbon (tons) 127 2 4 10 12 (men) 45

also found via a google search but relating to William 7 sisters from Guernsey.
              In the 1841 census we find in the Hospital of St Peter Port in Guernsey:
              Mary EBINSTON, 8
              Joshua EBINSTON, 7
              William EBINSTON, 3
              All paupers, all born in Guernsey.

Mary - it seems that, by 1851, Mary (as Emma ELBERSTONE) had gone to work as a servant for a family called THORBON in St Peter Port, Guernsey and that she stayed with them through every census (1851-1891) until she died in 1895.
              From 1851-1881, the family comprised Wiliam THORBON and his sisters Mary and Martha; William had passed away before the 1891 census.
              Both surnames (that of the family and that of the servant) are variously spelled/transcribed.
              A possibility is that the family changed Mary's name to Emma - possibly because one of the family members was named Mary (well, you wouldn't want William THORBON calling for the servant and his sister Mary THORBON coming at a run instead!). Though Emma does appear in some censuses as Emma M - perhaps Mary was her middle name and was used in 1841.
              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 27-07-11, 11:36.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

several refs for this 1812 stuff i have found are in the surname of Priaulx, am I right in thinking that's the same name as the library/archives for Guernsey records?

And he was also involved in earlier times too, this time against Prussia

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 27-07-11, 13:55.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

William & Martha's 1770 marriage is also on FreeREG. You've presumably found that one?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

looks good glen.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      William & Martha's 1770 marriage is also on FreeREG. You've presumably found that one?

Christine
                      Yes Christine I found the marriage, 10 Jul 1770 in St Margarets, Kings Lynn. I'm working on the (assumed) age at marriage being 21+, therefore birth/baptism abt 1750 and earlier, knowing my luck they were not baptised, baptised late in life or originate from the other end of the country but you have to start somewhere.

Apologies to all for going slightly off topic with the Guernsey stuff, not having the pc at home and not having the memory sticks on me all the time means threads are sometimes me notepad too!!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

no need to apologise Glen :smilee: we all ramble and talk to ourselves sometimes!

and I think you are right too about the name Priaulx

Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                          no need to apologise Glen :smilee: we all ramble and talk to ourselves sometimes!

and I think you are right too about the name Priaulx

http://www.priaulxlibrary.co.uk/

I bet they still want to charge for research when my rellie probably saved them from some terrible fate............not fair!!!!!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

er yea.. about £21 an hour!!!! not sure quite how easy it will be though to research, as their BMD records are still held on the Island and also very little info is actually 'out there' in the ether. It does state that the LDS only has a tiny amount of filmed BMDs for Guernsey though :(
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              er yea.. about £21 an hour!!!! not sure quite how easy it will be though to research, as their BMD records are still held on the Island and also very little info is actually 'out there' in the ether. It does state that the LDS only has a tiny amount of filmed BMDs for Guernsey though :(
                              Looky uppeys are £5 apparently, but what you get is the big unknown.

I don't have a bride for Joseph b1772 and therefore no mother for his Guernsey born children, William, Mary and Martha, marriage and baptism lookups might be worth a shot, and deaths/burials for Joseph and his spouse.

I have a rellie lives on Guernsey but he is connected on my paternal side and isn't mad keen to look for me, not blinky fair!!!!!!!!

I have a bit of info about a chap mentioned on the Guernsey and England census returns, he is connected to William, Mary and Martha in someway but chops his name around, details where known given below;-

1871 Channel Islands Census
                              Name: Martha Thorbon
                              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1809
                              Relation: Sister
                              Where born: St. Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands
                              Civil Parish: St Peter Port
                              Town: St Peter Port
                              County/Island: Guernsey

Registration district: Guernsey
                              Sub registration district: A
                              ED, institution, or vessel: 4a

Household schedule number: 96
                              Household Members: Name Age
                              William Thorbon 72
                              Mary A Thorbon 68
                              Martha Thorbon 62
                              Clement Wilson 8
                              Emma Ebernstein 37

===

1881 Channel Island Census
                              Name: Martha Thorbon
                              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1808
                              Relation: Sister
                              Where born: St P Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands

Civil Parish: St Peter Port
                              County/Island: Guernsey

Street address: 35 Canichers

Registration district: Guernsey And Adjacent Islands
                              Sub registration district: A
                              ED, institution, or vessel: 4
                              Neighbors: View others on page
                              Household Members: Name Age
                              Emma M. Ebenstean 46
                              Martha Thorbon 73
                              Mary A. Thorbon 77
                              William Thorbon 82
                              Clement A. Wilson 18

===

Marriages Jun 1888
                              Thorbon Clement Alexander W Fulham 1a 440 (to Caroline Amelia Vander Vord)

Also listed but unseen on Ancestry records (London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921)

===

1891 Unknown but indexed as follows

Name: Clement C Thorbon
                              Spouse: Caroline E Thorbon
                              Birth: abt 1863 - Guernsey, Channel Islands
                              Residence: 1891 - city, London, England

===

1901- possible mistranscription of place of birth???

Clement Thorbone
                              Birth: abt 1863 - Germany
                              Residence: 1901 - township, city, London, England

===

THORBON CLEMENT ALEXANDER M 1863 48 Chelsea

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

ooh I see what you mean Glen, so was his middle names, Alexander Wilson?
                                Julie

Comment

I'm not sure, I can't find a birth ref under Thorbon or Wilson, the nearest I can get for anything close to a match is using forenames only;

Births Jun 1864 (>99%)

PITTS Clement Alexander Poplar 1c 583

I think in the '71 he is down as grandson to the head (William), Mary and Martha are consistently down as unmarried suggesting they were aged spinsters at death, but I haven't found anything marriagewise for Wiliam either.

I haven't checked the freebmd images but there are only 3 transcribed records for the surname

Births Sep 1844 (>99%)

Thorbon Sarah N. Witchford 14 121

Marriages Jun 1888 (>99%)

Thorbon Clement Alexander W Fulham 1a 440

Marriages Sep 1928 (>99%)

Thorbon Frederick D T Cutbush Godstone 2a 67

Completely off the wall but a search of freebmd with blank surname and +Thorbon as forename brings up the descendants of the people I mentioned in post #1, the only result that appears that is a complete unknown to me is this one;

Births Sep 1853 (>99%)

FANTANNE Antoine Thorbon St Lukes 1b 560

Sounds a bit like french/channel isle origins???????? And it's the only record in that surname on freebmd too!!!
                                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 30-07-11, 12:30.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

it does sound french that it does Glen, not sure what to suggest now.. LDS?
                                    Julie

Comment

Aye, that it does,

No Guernsey stuff on there for my lot, a bit for the Thorbon name and variants in Norfolk, the Fantanne name does give an 1821 birth

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

oooh lookit..

Name: Pierre Antoine Fontanne
                                        Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1855
                                        Registration district: St Luke
                                        Inferred County: London
                                        Volume: 1b
                                        Page: 551
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X