Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like I might have made a boo boo!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like I might have made a boo boo!!

I have decided that I really need to order my OH's Great Grandmothers Birth Certificate. I am seriously concerned that her parents might not be who I thought they were. I am not sure exactly what is wrong but something doesn't quite add up!!

Florence Hinchcliffe born Rotherham 1869 parents ( I thought) William Hinchliffe and Emma Woodcock. The couple married in 1862 and had 9 Children.The first was born 1863 and the last was born in 1880. Florence, born 1869 was the 4th born and came between siblings born 1867 and 1871 so nothing to suggest any thing is wrong and although she is with her aunt and uncle in 1871 she is with her parents(?) and siblings in 1881(?). The only reason that I am now questioning her parentage is that I was following marriages of three of her sibling who married in West Yorkshire and having got the information I decided to check if any of the other siblings married in West Yorkshire. In doing this I found that they baptised the first 6 of their children in Royston, Barnsley (Emma's home parish). But... Florence was not baptised despite the fact that she was the 4th born and the children immediately before and after were baptised. The only other two not baptised in Royston were the last two. The other factor, which with hind sight is making me question her parentage is all the other 8 siblings have a middle names. Florence, to my knowledge, does not. The children's middle names are also shown on the census returns.

I am hoping the birth certificate will give me a definitive answer. If I have been following the wrong family then at least I will be able to put it right!!

Sandra
    Last edited by Sherbertrose; 25-07-11, 11:14.

Where did you find her birth ref Sandra? I couldn't see one for her in 1869.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ahhh I see now, they are listed under Hinchliffe (not Hinchcliffe) in 1881, and her birth is under Hinchliffe as well.

p.s. Cecil Joseph birth is Hinchliffe as well.
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-07-11, 11:52.

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

I think she married as a Hinchcliffe but the name is open to mistranscription. Her brother George Lionel is baptised as Hinchcliffe.

Sandra
        Last edited by Sherbertrose; 25-07-11, 12:48.

Comment

Hi Sandra

I wonder if it might be an idea to tell us what you know for sure (without living people of course) so that you could get another slant on it?
          The reason I am hoping that you aren't following the wrong family is that there are possible marriages of Florence Hinchliffe (without the C). So you need to be sure that you are following the right lady.

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

What I Know for certain is that O.H's grandfather was William Ibbotson (born 5 Nov 1891). His birth certificate shows his parents to be Florence Hinchliffe and Arthur Ibbotson. I believe that they married in 1891 (rotherham 3Q)

Sandra

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the middle name, I've got dozens of instances in my and ex's families of children of the same parents having only one name or 3.

I did have a family who had 12 children and two of them didn't appear to be baptised. But I found them eventually - the surname should have been Robins but one had been entered as Roberts and the other as Robinson!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was just about to say the same as Nell My grandmother, also coincidentally named Florence, was the only one of 16 children (12th born) not to have a middle name. Some of her brothers even had two!
                My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I have ordered her birth certificate. Had it just been the middle names I wouldn't have thought any more about it. But.... it bothers me that she was not baptised in Royston when most of her siblings were baptised there. Her mother was even buried in Royston despite the family living in Rotherham for many years.

Sandra

Comment

If she was born in Rotherham that might explain her apparent lack of baptism. I don't think Sheffield and Rotherham PRs are on Ancestry. I have lots from Barnsley but some went to Sheffield and Rotherham and they are not on the new PRs.

Anne

Comment

I should add all her siblings were born in Rotherham!!

Sandra

Comment

do you have the marriage of florence? that would help sort the father?

Comment

No I don't, but having sent for the birth certificate this should give me the answers. If the mother is wrong then it is highly likely that the father will be too.

Sandra

Comment

My maternal grandfather wasn't baptised as a child, although all his siblings were, and in the village church too.
                            My mother remembered him being confirmed as an adult and having to be baptised first. His bp took place during a normal Sunday service and then he was confirmed on the following Friday.
                            Babies DID get missed sometimes!

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Sandra
                              Have you noticed that in 1901 Arthur and Florence have a son Arthur who would have been born before marriage.

Comment

Hi Chrissie,

Yes I have Arthur Hinchcliffe Ibbotson. On the 1891 census he is living with another family - don't think they are relatives!!

Sandra

Comment

I wouldn't worry about middle names - they seem to just come and go! My great grandmother had no middle name on her birth or marriage certificates, or any census. But her death certificate (registered by her husband) gives the middle name Caroline. I have no idea why (-:
                                  Also, my great grandfather's family always lived in Mile End, East London, and were all baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Mile End - except him! I searched for hours at the LMA, but only found his baptism when it appeared on ancestry - at St Leonards, Shoreditch. Again, I have no idea why (-:
                                  Sometimes I think these things are just sent to try us - good luck with your family
                                  Darannon

Comment

Hi Sandra, have you looked for baptisms in Carlton? Some of mine who lived in Royston and Carlton swapped and changed where they had their baptisms.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Sandra,

Have just found it on ancestry...

Christened 10th October 1869 at Royston St John the Baptist.

Florence Daughter of William and Emma Hinchcliffe

Abode - Masbro(?)
                                      Father's occ - warehouseman

Ancestry have transcribed it as Henchcliffe.

Edit to add - they have also transcribed it as 10th September, but it is 10th October!
                                      Last edited by Tom Tom; 26-07-11, 11:23.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Hi Tom,

Your a star. Thats her. Masbrough is an area of Rotherham. Looks like I did make a boo boo .... in ordering the certificate!!!

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                                        X