• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Solved slightly

Hi all
    Some of you might remember my little teaser in the family[see below]

[For many years i have sat on this,not knowing much,no more than now :(
    William Rowlands born 1845 Roath,Cardiff Glamorgan,parents William & Mary Rowalnds both born Rummney,Monmouthshire William died 1850 & Mary in 1851. At Ty-Draw Cottage Roath.

William & siblings lived quite close even though they were split up,they kept in touch supporting each other.

After many years i finally tracked down William & found him on the 1911 census with his wife Elizabeth nee Davies with their 2 children the only survinig ones.
    They stated they were married 41 years ago so around 1870,but in Glamorgan,i have no idea,the only reason i know her surname was Davies due to me obtaining thier daughter Elizabeth Ann,known as Lizzie birth cert,she was born 19/8/1885 at 21 Tramway Aberdare,Hirwain. Other info i have,but not birth certs are Margaret 1875,Mary,1877 & Sarah 1878 all born around Hirwain,problem is on the 1911 census they had a total of 12 chidlren & only 2 living,it looks like Margaret had died as well because there was only 2 daughter with them....]

I now have the marriage cert for William Rowlands & Elizabeth Davies,which in fact all the census's show before & after marriage she is Elizabeth,but on her marriage cert it's Eliza -So nice of her

William & Eliza married at MERTHYR TYDFIL in 1869,her father was Benjamin Davies & her mother was Mary something,she had a sister Mary who is a witness on the marriage,along with Edward William Rowlands brother............There it goes cold,i have tried to find William's brother Edward but nothing also looked for Mary,did she marry Edward,i have no idea as yet...............

Now to the 12 chidlren they had................I took a gamble & ordered a death for Margaret Rowlands,she died in 1905 from T.B but still unsure if she is their daughter.
    I also ordered a death for Sarah who died at MERTHYR TYDFIL aged 15 & yes,i was spot on............Sarah died at 21 Tramway Hirwain on 18th July 1893,the death has been recored as poralisis which she had for 1 year..............Now it's bugging me why did she have this,i don't know if they held a Post Mortem as i'm waiting for Yes Dear to scan it to me tomorrow. So really i have not got any further in my quest to find the missing 9 who died before 1911. Elizabeth Ann born 1885 lived up untill 1969 & her sister Mary not far behind her. My dad always remembered the 2 old ladies living together,he used to go there quite often,he knew he & they were related but we could never connect them in,it's taken 16 years just to get this far....................Oh well,another 16 years ahead of me ,me thinks Unless anyone knows better????
    Thanks,
    Kaz.
    "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

hmm well done Kaz so far!

I think that with the children that died you will have to use Baptism/birth records and cross ref them with death/burial records. i'd start in MT and work through/around the places they lived.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie...........
      Don't think you know how many times i have tried that & screaming at the screen!!! I know they are all looking down on me laughing their socks off!!!!
      My lot did some crazy names in the family even worse when they couldn't read & write to spell them either...............Not only that living up in the 'Valleys' they have been known to use an odd & old Welsh names...It's a bit like today with the 'Designer first names'
      Kaz.

Comment

Kaz, do you know that the Glamorgan Marriage Index has been available since 20 June on Familysearch.org? There are lots of marriages for a Benjamin Davies and many in Merthyr Tydfil. There are a few with Mary as a spouse but elsewhere in Glamorgan. I stumbled on this index by accident a few days after it became available. Not all Glam marriages are on there but you could be lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
          Kaz, do you know that the Glamorgan Marriage Index has been available since 20 June on Familysearch.org? There are lots of marriages for a Benjamin Davies and many in Merthyr Tydfil. There are a few with Mary as a spouse but elsewhere in Glamorgan. I stumbled on this index by accident a few days after it became available. Not all Glam marriages are on there but you could be lucky.
          OHHHHHHHHHHH!!! No i didn't know that Pat.
          Thank you so much,i will have to go & see what i can find,might be others i don't know about
          Thanks,
          Kaz.

Comment

Hi Pat,
            No matter how much i try i can't find them on there ..........Help!!!!!
            Kaz.

Comment

Hi Kaz, I presume you mean you cannot find the Glamorgan marriage index? It can be a bit tricky until you get to know your way around the latest Familysearch site.

Go to www.familysearch.org You may get the old screen where you would have searched the IGI, or you may get the new search. If you get the old familiar screen, on the SEARCH tab at the top there is a drop down box, choose RECORD SEARCH PILOT. This will take you to the new type of search where there are more records than the old search. Once in the new search screen, scroll to the bottom part where it says "Browse by Location". Choose EUROPE and then scroll right to the bottom of the next screen. The record collections are in alphabetical order and this one is listed under Wales, Glamorgan Marriages 1837 -1922.

If you have any problems finding it, let me know and I will "talk" you through it.

This link might take you straight there, but it's best if you know how to navigate there anyway.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                Hi Kaz, I presume you mean you cannot find the Glamorgan marriage index? It can be a bit tricky until you get to know your way around the latest Familysearch site.

Go to www.familysearch.org You may get the old screen where you would have searched the IGI, or you may get the new search. If you get the old familiar screen, on the SEARCH tab at the top there is a drop down box, choose RECORD SEARCH PILOT. This will take you to the new type of search where there are more records than the old search. Once in the new search screen, scroll to the bottom part where it says "Browse by Location". Choose EUROPE and then scroll right to the bottom of the next screen. The record collections are in alphabetical order and this one is listed under Wales, Glamorgan Marriages 1837 -1922.

If you have any problems finding it, let me know and I will "talk" you through it.

This link might take you straight there, but it's best if you know how to navigate there anyway.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Good luck.
                Hi Pat,
                Thanks for the help,sorry not to get back to you on it but after a while i found my way through it & have spent the last 5 hours on there !!! I gave up looking for the Rowlands clan & just took a gamble on others & came up trumps on lots of my other family members ,so far in just over 40 of them..So a big thanks for helping me..............
                Thanks,
                Kaz..........Who is off to soak my eyes.

Kaz.

Comment

Originally posted by kazig View Post
                  Hi Pat,
                  Kaz..........Who is off to soak my eyes.

Kaz.
                  I know the feeling :D

Comment

Working...
                  X