Baptism v Registering a birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism v Registering a birth

Found a Baptism record for one of my family baptised as Arthur James Langham but registered as just Arthur Langham......is this something that happens regularly?

Linda

I have a few like that in my tree, more often than not the extra name at baptism is that of an aunt/uncle or cousin, not really a definative answer but it's what I have found in my tree.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I have some baptised with a completely different first name than the Birth Reg? obviously changed their mind .:D

Comment

I have a few in my tree too that have either an extra name or even one name change...i'm sure they wanted to confuse their decendants like us to make it more difficult to find them lol.
        Craig

Comment

I thought as much! Not very helpful are they?

I seem to have an Arthur Langham about 3/4 times in each generation plus sometimes brothers gave this name to their children when they were only about 2 years apart.

Suppose there weren't so many names to choose from then

Linda

Comment

when you think that they had family names or names from the bible to use the pool was small. john, thomas, henry, richard and mary, jane, elizabeth, sarah and anne are all common as dirt. then you you get weird bible names like kezia and josiah!!

Comment

The Worners liked Thomas John and William, but then they started on Bible names - Job, Jehu and Samuel - and FOUR Emmanuels born in 4 years, too much !!!
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Often one of the baptismal names would be that of a godparent. What's even more annoying is when the child is then called by a name that isn't the one he was baptised or registered with!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  Often one of the baptismal names would be that of a godparent. What's even more annoying is when the child is then called by a name that isn't the one he was baptised or registered with!
                  I have that in my family - two uncles one registered as Henry Charles and known as Billy and the other registered as Lauriston Philip and called Jack!! all their children given two first names but called by the middle one!
                  No thought for us - eh?
                  Margaret

Comment

Working...
                  X