NAS Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAS Hard Drive

I want to buy a NAS drive so that I can use it to backup all my software, especially my F/Tree, so that I can update it either from my Laptop or my Desktop. I would also like one that will allow other members of the family to access the Tree via the Net, but as a 'Read Only File'b but the ones I have looked at do not have this facility, can anyone suggest one that will allow this.
    Thanks
    FRANK

I use Dropbox and/or SugarSync to store my trees online - both are free.
    It means I can access the data file from either of my laptops and the online file is updated automatically when I close down.
    You can also allow others to view/access online files but I am not sure if you can make them read only - might be worth checking out.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I have already exceeded my free 5Gb on Sugarsync and they now want me to pay!!!!!!!!. We have 2 Desktop pcs and 2 Laptops so we need something to back up all our files, and I know that a lot of the NAS drives allow access from the net which the Iomega 1Tb does, but it will not accept a 'read only' password, hence my query.
      FRANK

Comment

Thats interesting Elaine I installed that Dropbox but dont really understand how it works ??? does it also save all your files including photos etc each day ?

Comment

Val, you don't get a lot of online storage with either Dropbox or SugarSync. SugarSync is 5GB and I think Dropbox is 2GB so you cannot use it as a backup facility - unless you want to pay for extra storage.

I use it mainly for family tree stuff because I've got two laptops, one which sits in the office and the other which sits on my knee in the evening - and I am quite often swapping between the two.

There is a specific folder on your computer where you save anything you wish to be stored online, so for example using Dropbox, there is a Dropbox folder on my desktop and in that I have some of my Family Tree Maker files, really depending on which tree (or whose tree) I am working on at the time. Dropbox needs to be installed on both (or all) computers, and both/all have the special Dropbox folder on the desktop for storage. Occasionally I pop other documents in there as well if I need to access them from either computer.

If I have been using the office laptop and working on an FTM file, when I close it the file is updated in the Dropbox folder on my desktop, in the same way that any FTM file would be saved on your hard drive. At the same time it uploads the new version of the file to the online storage. If I then go and turn on the other laptop, one of the first things it does is to check the online Dropbox storage and compare it with the Dropbox folder on that computer. If it sees there has been an update then it downloads that file to that computer - so if I wanted to carry on working on a tree I have the most up to date version to work with. Again, when I close down, it saves the updated version on both the computer and online storage.

So for me, I am not really using Dropbox and SugarSync as backups - more as a temporary storage of files that I need to access from both computers. It's also a useful way of sending a large sized file to someone, because you can save it in your online storage and send a link to whoever you want to share it with, and they can download it from there.
          Elaine

Comment

thanks for that explanation Elaine I do back up to an external hard drive but also have this dropbox but wasn't really sure what it did .

Comment

This looks as if it might satisfy your needs Frank....

most consumer level NAS enclosures are quite restriced in their security options... Also, depending how technical you are, there is FreeNAS which you can use to turn an old PC into a NAS device....
              https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Grimsqueaker, it seems just what I need, I will have a look at it.
                FRANK

Comment

Originally posted by Frank in Beds View Post
                  Thanks Elaine, I have already exceeded my free 5Gb on Sugarsync and they now want me to pay!!!!!!!!. We have 2 Desktop pcs and 2 Laptops so we need something to back up all our files, and I know that a lot of the NAS drives allow access from the net which the Iomega 1Tb does, but it will not accept a 'read only' password, hence my query.
                  If you signup for a Windows live account (which you need for hotmail etc), part of the service is SkyDrive
                  This gives you 25GB of free storage

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor, I already have a Live account so I will also look at Skydrive
                    FRANK

Comment

Working...
                    X